About Altus Thermal
Altus Thermal is a Boston-based startup developing a smart, high efficiency hardware product for the residential market. Leveraging heat pump technology, Altus’ product will increase comfort, reduce emissions and operating costs, and provide benefits to the electrical grid. If you want to be an early part of a growing climate tech company and develop advanced controls, keep reading. Altus is based at Greentown Labs HQ in Somerville, MA.
The Role, At-a-Glance
Altus is seeking a Boston-area Control Systems Engineer to take a leading role in the day-to-day development of Altus’ controls from its current status - field prototype - through launch. The role will blend onsite and remote work with intermittent travel to engineering consultants, vendors, and pilot locations. Travel will be predominantly within the U.S.
What Will I Do?
As a core part of the Altus Engineering team, you will:
- Work closely with the founders, other team members, and consultants to manage and execute the day-to-day controls development to enable a rapid, successful product launch - this includes advancing current work, developing new code, and optimizing the code for hardware integration
- Create and own control code and repositories
- Collaborate with the software team to develop an appropriate firmware solution
- Collaborate with the hardware team to select the appropriate control sensors, actuators, etc.
- Provide support for other areas of software development (for instance, Altus’ IOT stack)
- Implement and validate the control system on prototype hardware in the lab and in the field
- Use engineering best practices to help define technical targets, testing protocols, and success criteria
What Qualifications Do I Need?
We’re looking for someone with a proven track record in control system development:
- BSc. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a similar technical field with at least 5 years of experience developing and implementing control algorithms for hardware
- Deep proficiency in Matlab, C++, and Python
- A strong background in the fundamentals of control theory and various control strategies, including advanced control strategies beyond PID
- A solid foundation in designing, implementing, and debugging scalable software-for-hardware taking into account both physical and digital I/O; experience developing an IOT stack is a plus
- A high level of familiarity with software development best practices and the ability to help proactively shape the development schedule and goals
- A reasonable familiarity with hardware design and development e. the ability to code outside of a vacuum and help support physical prototyping and testing with your integrated code
- Strong analytical skills - the ability to understand the problem-to-be-solved on a deep level and frame up a path to a successful solution; and similarly the ability to interpret testing results on more than just a superficial level
- High comfort level within a fast-paced environment - you’ll be helping to build from the ground up so it’s important to be flexible and capable of adapting to moving targets
- Self-starting attitude - while Altus is a highly collaborative team environment, we’re looking for candidates who can take take a general direction then run with it and make it their own
Want to Learn More?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, portfolio, and brief thoughts on:
- Why are you interested in joining an early-stage company/how does it fit with your goals?
- When the time comes for reference calls, what will your colleagues say about you?
- What’s your proudest professional achievement? Why?