is a clean energy leader creating smarter, greener, healthier buildings for all by reducing the barriers to money-saving, quality-of-life-improving green building upgrade. We provide engineering, financing and project implementation services for our clients, with a special focus in historically left out communities across the country. These communities, and their buildings, are underserved by traditional energy services companies because they are considered too small, too costly, or too risky. Our portfolio of projects include houses of worship, schools, non-profits, small businesses and multifamily buildings. Through our work, we save our clients money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve health and create local employment opportunities.
At BlocPower, we value our mission. We are trusted advisors that get things done for our customers by using data to make the right decisions. We support and expect excellence from our team members. We treat both our customers and ourselves with care and respect.
As our work is centered around systematically disenfranchised communities – including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people – we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
About the Role
- To further this mission, BlocPower is looking for a friendly Data Engineer to join our growing team. This engineer will be responsible for expanding our data pipeline architecture. You should have a depth of experience building data pipelines,, and see yourself adding to as much as benefitting from a supportive team environment.
- This hire will help keep data consistent across projects and teams. This may look at times like helping our engineers to perform energy audits using our proprietary models, writing software that will help us analyze big data that comes into our platform via sensors installed across our projects, or optimizing the project pipelines of our construction and sales teams.
- The ideal candidate is someone who is self-directed, believes in our mission, and is an excellent written communicator.
What You'll Do
- Assemble large, complex, structured/unstructured data sets from various public/non-public data sources into the raw-zone of our data lake.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Design and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data and associated architecture secure.
Who You Are
- Ability to write good SQL, and work with a variety of databases (eg. AWS RDS, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB)
- Autonomously stand up and maintain an ETL pipeline with little to no supervision, using tools such as AWS Glue, Informatica, or Talend
- Coherently organize a data lake, making it easy easy to collaborate on data
- Manipulate big data, including high-velocity streaming data using tools such as Spark, Kafka and Kinesis
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of work experience and education preferably in degree/course work/experience in computer science/data engineering
- 2+ years of experience as a Data Engineer
What You'll Get from Us
- Base salary between $120,000 and $130,000
- Competitive equity in a growing, Series A startup
- Health, dental, vision benefits, plus perks like a One Medical membership
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Glue, Sagemaker
- Microservice architectures
- Docker, Kubernetes, Docker-Compose
- Git and Jenkins
- Experience working with IoT/Sensors
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
BlocPower™ provides equal employment opportunities(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BlocPower™ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
BlocPower™ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of BlocPower™ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.