is a clean energy leader creating smarter, greener, healthier buildings for all by reducing the barriers to money-saving, quality-of-life-improving green building upgrade. We provide engineering, financing and project implementation services for our clients, with a special focus in historically left out communities across the country. These communities, and their buildings, are underserved by traditional energy services companies because they are considered too small, too costly, or too risky. Our portfolio of projects include houses of worship, schools, non-profits, small businesses and multifamily buildings. Through our work, we save our clients money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve health and create local employment opportunities.
At BlocPower, we value our mission. We are trusted advisors that get things done for our customers by using data to make the right decisions. We support and expect excellence from our team members. We treat both our customers and ourselves with care and respect.
As our work is centered around systematically disenfranchised communities – including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people – we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
About the Role
- To further this mission, BlocPower is looking for a friendly, collaborative, and affectionate Data Scientist to join our growing team. This data scientist will be responsible for building truly large-scale, data-driven predictive models and integrating within our organization. You should have a depth of experience with the model development life cycle, and see yourself adding to as much as benefitting from a supportive team environment.
- This role will utilize machine learning methods and tools like Python, Scikit learn, and Spark ML to examine business questions, uncover novel insights, and explore new opportunities. It will also will work closely with data engineers, data analysts, and other data scientists in the team to integrate results into operational platforms. The position includes analytic computing, data analytics, predictive modeling, and the communication of results.
- Our ideal teammate is someone who is self-directed, believes in our mission, and is an excellent written communicator.
What You'll Do
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging data to drive business solutions
- Mine and analyze data from company databases and data lake to drive optimization and improvement of product development, marketing techniques and business strategies
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets
- Use supervised and unsupervised machine learning, predictive modeling, and other statistical techniques to increase and optimize opportunities to retrofit buildings, improve customer experiences, refine sales targeting, and support other business outcomes
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
Who You Are
- Able to stand up and maintain a MDLC pipeline with little to no supervision, using tools such as AWS Sagemaker, Data Robot, Databricks
- Able to perform exploratory data analysis with little to no supervision
- Able to perform feature engineering with little to no supervision
- Able to evaluate which algorithm is best fit to the use case (egs gradient boosting, decision trees, random forest, or deep-learning)
- Able to perform hyperparameter tuning with little to no supervision
- Able to implement a deep-learning algorithm using tools such as Keras or TensorFlow
- Experience with big data analytics using Spark, Kafka/Kinesis etc
- Strong project management and organizational skills
Education & Experience
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of work experience and education preferably in degree/course work/experience in computer science/data science
- 2+ years of experience as a Data Scientist
What You'll Get from Us
- Base salary between $120,000 and $130,000
- Competitive equity in a growing, Series A startup
- Health, dental, vision, 401(k) benefits, plus perks like a One Medical membership and commuter benefits
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, Glue, Sagemaker
- Microservice architectures
- Docker, Kubernetes, Docker-Compose
- Git and Jenkins
- Experience working with IoT/Sensors
This job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities may change without notice.
BlocPower™ provides equal employment opportunities(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BlocPower™ complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
BlocPower™ expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of BlocPower™ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.