Who is Optera?
We build software to help the world’s largest companies stop climate change. Our market-leading products provide companies with the tools and insight they need to reduce the environmental impacts of their businesses, supply chains, and products. We are backed by some of the most respected US-based venture capital firms and have a robust client list, including leading Fortune 500 companies such as Dell, Cisco, HPE, Williams-Sonoma, and Target.
What problem are we solving?
In short, Optera is the data solution to stop climate change. Major corporations are the largest source of carbon emissions. Across the globe, companies are responding to pressure to address climate change by setting goals to aggressively reduce emissions by 2050. Our software enables corporate teams to collect, manage, and analyze emissions data across their operations, supply chain, and products, all with the aim of achieving their goals and halting Climate Change.
Why work at Optera?
Our team dedicates our skills, talents, and time to making the world a more sustainable place for future generations. We have a collaborative and dynamic culture where everyone plays a critical role and has room to learn and grow. Balance between work and life is key to our success, and we provide our teammates the flexibility, space, and support to thrive personally and professionally.
Why this opportunity?
Optera is growing faster than ever and we are rapidly expanding our market leading product and services. We are seeking a Staff Engineer to help us architect, design, and build out our product. Join us on our journey to deliver the best sustainability management software in the world.
The role and responsibilities
- Guide team software development efforts toward successful project deliveries.
- Establish best practices and conventions that speed up development and enhance product robustness.
- Work in close collaboration with Product to iterate over product ideas, translating them to requirements and planning their delivery.
- Expand on our knowledge base through documentation.
- Implement software solutions that enable our customers to understand and decrease their emissions.
- Ensure team deliverables exceed business and industry security requirements.
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Facilitate technical conflict resolution with active listening and critical thinking.
- Our team and company are growing! Help hire, support, and mentor our future engineers.
- Dedicated to making impactful products that awe customers and enable them to plan for a more sustainable future.
- Be part of and foster a supportive, collaborative environment where we as a team are capable of solving complex and challenging problems.
- Dedicated to producing quality, testable code with accommodation for CI/CD.
- Significant contribution to greenfield software projects, making widely impactful design decisions, and collaborating with product stakeholders to create intuitive solutions that meet and exceed customers' needs.
- Expert in building RESTful applications in Python with at least one of the following frameworks: FastAPI, Flask, Pyramid.
- Well versed in hosting infrastructure, especially using cloud platforms, that enables effective deployment methodologies and product deliver
- Demonstrable understanding of effective database design with experience around implementing optimizations and handling data migrations.
- Building extensible applications for production deployment and runtime.
- Outstanding understanding of industry security practices.
- Designing of efficient interfaces between user facing applications and surrounding supporting systems.
Nice to have
- Experience in Energy or Sustainability industry
- Experience in startups
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Optera is committed to creating a diverse environment that is safe and welcoming to all. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We take this very seriously and expect that you do too.
- Unrestricted PTO and flexible work schedule
- Recharge Fridays: Every other Friday off
- Health insurance including dental and vision
- Short and Long term Disability Insurance
- 12 weeks maternity/paternity leave (8 weeks paid)
- Wellness budget
- Budget for home/office workstation
- Professional development budget
- 401k with 3% company match and ESG investment options
- Company-wide Bonus program
- Colorado Eco-pass (regional bus pass)
- Team happy hours, hikes/bike rides, and ping-pong
Location: remote (US and Canada) with optional office in Boulder, Colorado
Base Salary (US): $160,000 - $185,000 plus bonus and option for equity
How to Apply
Please send a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Staff Engineer Back End – [Your Name].”