Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and ...View Company Profile
Policy Director – Wholesale Markets
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We work to accelerate the move to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation in the U.S. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, wind, solar, hydro, electric vehicles, and more. AEE represents more than 100 companies in the $240 billion U.S. advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate in more than a dozen states, in wholesale electricity markets, and at the federal level for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services.
AEE seeks a smart, innovative, and politically savvy Director to join AEE’s policy team. To support the U.S. transition to 100% clean energy and electrified transportation, the Director will work with AEE team members to initiate, develop, and implement multi-year strategies designed to transform federally regulated wholesale electricity markets. The wholesale markets work will focus on championing and defending market rule changes necessary to support the growth of clean energy resources and speed the retirement of aging incumbent generating technologies in competitive wholesale electricity markets.
AEE is seeking a highly energetic and self-starting professional who has experience with wholesale energy markets and advanced energy technologies. The Director will work collaboratively, leading project teams under the direction of Managing Directors on both internal and external projects to advance AEE’s policy agenda. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication and relationship-building skills and the ability to find common ground both with corporate membership and external stakeholders. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel to meet with AEE members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials, and attend key wholesale market stakeholder discussions.
• Work collaboratively with AEE policy team members on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in key wholesale markets as part of AEE’s core portfolio.
• Lead AEE and AEE member engagement at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), including writing regulatory comments and supporting coalition-building efforts, and assist with other priority RTO engagement, including ISO NE, PJM, and ERCOT currently.
• Work with AEE members to develop and reach consensus on policy positions on key issues in wholesale market design. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
• Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, philanthropy, allies, and key legislative, regulatory, and administrative staff.
• Work with communications staff to identify and seize opportunities to showcase stories and evidence of the advanced energy economy taking hold. Draft press statements, write blog posts, participate in webinars, and create opportunities to showcase advanced energy.
• Write comments, create reports, presentations, fact sheets, and other written and visual materials, and deliver verbal presentations related to advanced energy trends, solutions, and systems.
• Travel on an as needed basis (up to 25%) to targeted venues for stakeholder meetings, conferences, meetings with key allies, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of AEE.
• Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree, Political Science, Public Policy, Economics, Law, or Engineering preferred or applicable comparable experience
• Minimum of seven years of professional experience in and engagement in the clean energy sector; ideally, some experience with FERC and/or RTOs
• Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with AEE’s mission/vision
• Handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell AEE and its value proposition to those audiences
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal; ideally, some experience writing regulatory comments
• Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
• Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
Special Application Instructions
To be considered for this position, submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as a current resume.
Job Type: Remote
Location: Washington D.C. area preferred
Salary: starting at $110,000
Start Date: December 12, 2022
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization (“DEIJ”). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.
Advanced Energy Economy Benefits include:
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families,
• Medical premiums covered for employees at 100%
• Flexible spending plans for health care and dependent care
• Profit Sharing opportunities, and annual merit-based compensation increases
• $50/month personal wellness reimbursement
• $50/month phone stipend
• Paid Time Off including accrual, 11 Federal Holidays, and an annual end-of-year closure
• Parental Leave
• Tuition Reimbursement, and professional development reimbursement
• 401(k) plan (with matching incentives)
• WMATA Transit SmartBenefits