It's a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we're doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
As a member of the Lab & Facilities Team, the Lab Operations Manager will oversee the day-to-day coordination and operation of Lab Services and Sample Processing & Inventory activities, lab equipment, and house lab utilities at the Berkeley and Utah facilities. The Manager will also be accountable for providing direct supervision of the Lab Services and Sample Processing & Inventory technicians.
- Manage department Laboratory Technicians for all workflow, including standard daily work and ticket requests.
- Track daily Lab Services ticket requests and Sample Processing requests to resolution. May require delegation to team, individual contributor, or other service vendor.
- Maintain calendar and coordinate preventative maintenance and repairs of lab equipment, including some house lab utilities. Manage document retention of all services.
- Manage service vendors and contracts, including but not limited to DI water system, microscope, balances, and pipet maintenance, environmental chamber PMs, department lab equipment, sterilizers, glass wash, and gas generator systems.
- Collaborate on annual budget process including service contracts and consumable and capital costs for department. Approve all spending for functional areas within signing authority.
- Serve as liaison to lab departments for continuing improvement to service.
- Analyze workflow data for metrics against KPIs.
- Develop and maintain gas tank and LN2 delivery calendars, delivery, and hook-ups.
- Assist with vendor procurement.
- Assist with equipment purchases, relocations, and installations and maintain equipment inventory log.
- Develop and Approve work instructions and document training for all new hires.
- Collaborate with other functional areas In Lab & Facilities department on initiatives outside of day-to-day Lab Services responsibilities.
- Apply all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to assigned work.
- Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Fosters a strong team environment, demonstrating interest, skill, and success in collaborative work as a leader and team member.
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities to technicians. Coaching them to develop skills and capabilities or to correct techniques, skills, or behaviors.
- Analytical thinking to weigh risks/rewards, costs/benefits, safety, efficiency, and impact of decisions on lab departments.
- Technical expertise with demonstrated lab experience to sufficiently problem solve, troubleshoot, train and guide team with issues that are varied in nature and urgency.
- Strong motivation for thoroughness ensuring a consistent level of high-quality work from self and team.
- At full department capacity, this role directly supervises 8+ Lab Technicians and is responsible for their training, development, and performance management within the Lab Services and Sample Processing & Inventory departments in Berkeley and Utah facilities
- Work conducted in a typical laboratory environment, including exposure to hot or cold temperatures, noise, and biohazard or chemical hazards. Training and PPE is required for working in lab environment. This position requires on-site work.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus with or without corrective lenses.
- Standing or working in a stationary location for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to reach, carry, climb, kneel, bend, push and or pull.
- Ability to lift objects as heavy as 30 lbs.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in life sciences, chemistry, food science, biotechnology, or related field with 3-5 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of laboratory supervision or management experience.
- Service and support orientation, with an eye to continuous Improvement.
- Ability to read, write, and follow detailed Instructions and record Information clearly and accurately.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in written and verbal form
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment with competing priorities.
- Excellent time management skills, ability to prioritize concurrent assignments and tasks, adjust or delegate workflow as needed.
- Computer skills: Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, SharePoint and Teams.)
- Ability to work in and lead a collaborative team environment.
- 1-2 years Lab Operations and Management experience (preferred)
- Must be able to travel up to 20% / year
It's a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!