VitroLabs, founded in 2016 and headquartered in Milpitas California, is a biotech company developing a scalable tissue engineering platform for the efficient and environmentally friendly production of leather from only a few cells. Combining advanced tissue engineering processes with proprietary advances to achieve commercial scale, VitroLabs is on a mission to produce cell cultivated leather that achieves the look, feel and performance of traditional leather without compromise. The composition of the material achieves the complexity of traditional hides without the need to go to animals as an ongoing source of hides. The process is more environmentally sustainable and favorable for animal welfare than that which is used to produce traditional leather.
About the role:
You will report to the Process Development Lead and work with Process Development, Tissue Engineering, Product Development, and Pilot Manufacturing to help develop scalable processes for cell and tissue manufacturing. You will support characterization, optimization, and tech transfer by conducting experiments and interpreting experimental results.
We are open to hiring this position as a Research Associate up to a Process Development Engineer I.
You are inspired by VitroLabs' mission to create the highest quality materials that meets the uncompromising standards of our customers while drastically reducing environmental impact and furthering animal welfare. You are an innovation enthusiast and have experience with cell culture and cellular processing equipment. You approach challenges with curiosity and courage and you are excited to join a startup company where you can make a big impact!
- Help establish robust and scalable processes by performing experiments to optimize process parameters related to cell and tissue quality, process efficiency, and cost reduction
- Produce and analyze meaningful process data using process analytical technology (PAT) to monitor and control operations
- Collaborate with the Process Development, Tissue Engineering and Product Development, and Pilot Manufacturing teams to ensure seamless process integration
- Help design and execute studies to support process characterization and validation using statistical multi-parameter design methods
- Support strategic planning by conducting FMEA risk assessments and data review for manufacturing processes
- Support technology transfer of the process to Manufacturing
- Maintain thorough documentation and communicate experimental results internally
- Communicate with vendors, contractors, and other outside parties to coordinate trainings on and installation of new equipment
- Acquire new skills and integrate new technologies
Qualifications & Skills:
- 2 or more years of experience* in the life sciences industry
- Mammalian cell culture experience
- Understanding of upstream and downstream operations for cell-based processes
- Knowledge of process analytical techniques (PAT) and cell-based assays
- Experience with closed-system, scalable bioprocess equipment
- Experience with good documentation practices and record keeping
*At VitroLabs, we understand that those who are courageous enough to make the bold moves and run with the "crazy" ideas are the folks who drive innovation and enable us to accomplish our mission. There is no specific pathway that makes you a fit for this role, but rather your resilience, tenacity, and constant curiosity.
If you want to collaborate with us and know you can help make a product that will change the planet for the better, we want to hear from you.
- 90-100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental care
- Flexible Spending Account/ Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Basic Life insurance & Long Term Disability insurance
- Commuter benefits
- 401K (Employer matching)
- Onsite employer sponsored lunches (3 days each week)
- Fully stocked kitchen (snacks responsibly sourced)
- Team happy hours and regularly scheduled table tennis, foosball, and cornhole matches
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and VitroLabs Inc retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
VitroLabs Inc is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.