Alga Biosciences is a fast-moving startup on a mission to transform the agricultural industry. Our goal is to eliminate methane produced by enteric fermentation. Methane is a small, energy-rich molecule with 86x the warming potential of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere over the next 20 years. Global livestock account for 14.5% of total anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions, and cattle are the primary emitters via enteric fermentation.
We intend to make a dramatic impact on global methane emissions by stopping cattle from burping methane. We are collaborating with cattle-owners, ranchers, and scientists to do this in the fastest, cheapest, and most scalable way possible.
Are you motivated to deploy a bold, game-changing climate technology? We would love to hear from you.
- This position will be responsible for developing, managing, and executing research directions related to the rumen microbiome.
- Scientific tasks include development and execution of experiments involving PCR, qPCR, in vitro fermentation, headspace gas chromatography, cell culture with rich or freshwater media, protein expression in bacteria, cell harvesting, protein characterization.
- Creating and conducting experiments based on laboratory procedures.
- Learning, using, and troubleshooting instruments for analytical characterization.
- Managing and querying data produced from experimentation.
- Desire and ability to teach yourself and your teammates new skills and techniques.
- Strong organizational skills required to work in a fast-paced setting.
- Creative thinking and willingness to generate out-of-the-box ideas.
- Willing to contribute to an environment of creativity, respect, and support across all roles and levels of a growing company.
- Proactive and solution-oriented working style.
- MS or PhD in microbiology, biochemistry, or related discipline.
- 7+ years of laboratory research experience.
- Able to work in-person at our office in Berkeley, CA.
- Experience with good manufacturing practices (GMP) is a plus.
- Work authorization in the United States (required).
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Relocation stipend
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Generous time-off policy
- 401(k) plan
Alga Biosciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, or local laws.