At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About the role
The Bioprocess Operator/Associate is responsible for the production of cultivated meat by interfacing with automated production and bioprocess systems and controls. Operators/Associates in this role will operate production equipment with specific duties that encompass: equipment preparation, culture growth, media/buffer preparation, process monitoring, sampling, and harvesting, all within a regulated environment focused on safety, quality, and efficiency.
- Operate bioprocess equipment for cell culture operations (cell bank thaw through harvest).
- Prepare media and buffer solutions for the production process.
- Clean, assemble, and sterilize equipment.
- Comply with safety requirements, adherence to standard operating procedures, batch records, good documentation practices, and data capturing.
- Partner with coworkers and supervisor to effectively troubleshoot equipment and process issues.
- B.A. or B.S. degree preferably in Life Sciences or Engineering or equivalent experience in a bioprocess manufacturing environment or other regulated industry.
- Basic understanding of cell culture processes, equipment setup, aseptic technique, and sterilization operations.
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures and interact with process automation systems for routine work.
- Experience with creating and maintaining manufacturing operations documentation (SOPs, batch records) is a plus.
- Experience interacting with ERP and/or Quality Management systems is a plus.
- Good problem solving, mechanical aptitude, communication, and team skills.
- Must be willing and able to work evening/night hours and weekends, as needed.
- Must be able to carry up to 40 pounds. Must be able to stand up for long periods of time while monitoring operations and performing daily tasks. Must be able to don Personal Protective Equipment (safety glasses, gloves, footwear, lab coats or coveralls) on a daily basis, as well as hearing and dust protection as needed.
Who you’ll work with…
- This role will partner with a variety of different support functions to the manufacturing team; such as Automation, Process Engineering, Facilities and the senior leadership team! It’s a rare opportunity to learn about all parts of the business and industry, as we pioneer in implementing something that has never been done before in the Cultivated Meat industry.
- While we expect rapid growth within this department, we are proud to say that this is the first ever Manufacturing team in company history. This is a unique chance to be the first.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Develop a deep sense of cultivated meat manufacturing
- Make an impact on team goals and metrics
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- 3 Weeks PTO Accrued Annually
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.