We are looking for an experienced leader for our teams developing the simulator at Zoox. Simulation is critical in validating our autonomous driving software -- a high-fidelity, capable and reliable simulator is vital to Zoox. In this highly impactful role, you will closely work with partners in many teams, including the driving AI teams, safety validation, infrastructure, data science, QA teams, and more, to ensure our autonomous driving software is safe, capable, and comfortable. We have a healthy, collaborative, people-first culture built on trust and respect.
- Lead and grow the simulator teams at Zoox, responsible for the core simulator engine, 3D world and sensor simulation, traffic and pedestrian behavior modeling, and scenario frameworks.
- Lead the direction and roadmap for simulation to support the development and validation of autonomous driving software.
- Collaborate with various teams, including driving AI, safety validation, infrastructure, data science, and QA teams, to identify and deliver impactful solutions.
- Advance the state-of-the-art in simulation to improve the trustworthiness and effectiveness of simulation-based analysis.
- Drive efficiency of our simulation use through performance optimization and better scenario identification, generation, and selection methods.
- 6+ years of management experience, with 2+ years managing managers and teams of 25-50+
- 10+ years of technically demanding experience building interactive C++ applications, including high-fidelity 3D graphics, world simulation, game engines, AI/behavior/planning, scenario creation/generation, and other related areas.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver effective, maintainable solutions for complex and fast-evolving applications.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to lead across teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience building simulators for autonomous driving validation or other AI applications.
- Understanding of the role, applications, and challenges of simulation for autonomous driving.
- Experience in the autonomous driving industry is a plus.
- Master's degree or Ph.D. in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary will range from $277,000 - $348,000. A sign-on bonus may be part of a compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.Vaccine Mandate
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR
have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.About Zoox
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.Follow us on LinkedInA Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.