It's a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we're doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations. The Scientist II will lead a team focused on developing food applications using Perfect Day ingredients to increase overall revenue and growth in the protein industry. This role will provide leadership/mentorship of junior staff members to assist commercial team sales efforts.
- Delivers and guides Application plans and strategies in support of company objectives and specifically projects which involve characterizing new food ingredients and development of new food applications from concept to potential commercialization.
- Leads & provides guidance towards the understanding and application of knowledge of food ingredients, food products, and food manufacturing processes, to take new and existing products from conceptualization through commercialization working with project constraints of time, target, and budget.
- Uses objectivity on project work by practicing the scientific method of defining the question, gathering and recording information, forming a hypothesis, performing experiments, analyzing data and interpreting data and drawing conclusions. Leads project communication needs, project status and technical advice to internal customers and external vendors to promote more efficient and effective project work.
- Provide technical support to Commercial team and customers through use of application prototypes and formulations.
- Write SOPs, ingredient specification, finished good specifications, COA and experiment reports
- Application sample shelf life and product sensory testing
- Lead and assist in identifying, assessing, and completing purchase of key analytical and product development equipment and tools. Develop best practice SOPs to run the day-to-day workings of the food lab. Develop systems and procedures for product development, food safety, GLP, and GMP.
Oral Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others.
Written Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
Influencing Others: The ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
Analytical Thinking: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- This position will have direct supervisory responsibility over staff members, including direct responsibilities, workload management, and mentorship.
- This role will be performed in a lab environment and will regularly come into contact with dairy protein and/or other food allergens. This role will primarily be onsite but may have occasional flexibility to work from home.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods at a given time; reach, climb, kneel, bend, push and/or pull, and at times lift objects as heavy as 25 lbs.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field is required
- 3-5 years of experience in food system development.
- Dairy, plant, and other sources of protein knowledge (functionality, uses, sensory attributes)
- Knowledge of food processing/manufacturing (RTD, bars, extrusion, dairy, etc.)
- Must have & maintain US work authorization
Preferred education and experience
- Ph.D. in related fields
- Experience with JMP, or other data analysis, visualization, and statistical tools
- Bench scale food system formulation experience
- Project leading experience
It's a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!