Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
The CFS Information Technology team is on a mission to build a modern and fully digital environment to support the CFS mission.This role is responsible for building and supporting the CFS IT infrastructure from the ground up. This individual will work with their IT colleagues to provide technology expertise and services, and as we grow the organization with an objective of achieving continuous improvement of the service we provide.
Infrastructure Engineering at CFS is a team whose focus is designing, deploying, and operating the foundational systems and platforms on which CFS’s services run. Bringing fusion to the grid requires engineers with expertise in distributed systems architecture, infrastructure as a service, data durability, and information security best practices.
On this team, you’ll need a strong focus and desire to learn new systems and services, an intuition for technology, the ability to think outside the box, and familiarity with wide scope IT infrastructure. In this role at CFS, you’ll have a direct impact on bringing commercial clean fusion energy to the grid!
This team member will:
- Architecting, deploying, and maintaining solutions on AWS
- Implementing and managing complex networking both on-prem and in-cloud
- Designing, installing, and maintaining on-prem data centers
- Managing Windows, Linux, and Mac computers and servers with a deep understanding of managing systems at scale in an enterprise
- Scripting and Automation experience
- Architecting and deploying HPC capabilities
- Applying infrastructure and security best practices to existing and new systems
- Supporting and solutioning for scientific computing
- Deep understanding of idP driven architecture
- Experience designing, implementing, and maintaining OT networks
- Understanding of OT and manufacturing best practices
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- No formal education required
- Certifications in AWS and Networking are welcome such as AWS Solutions Architect or Fortinet NSE4+
- Ability and passion to learn by doing
- Deep experience in AWS, General Infrastructure, Enterprise Networking, Linux and Windows Sysadmin, and/or SRE
- Automation and scripting experience
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- HPC experience
- Other IaaS experience
- Development and Coding experience
- CI/CD experience
- OT experience
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs as needed in deploying on-prem infrastructure
- Ability to type, stand, and sit for extended periods of time
- Occasional travel may be required
- Nights and weekend work may be expected during commissioning of new systems or upgrades
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.