Twelve is a new kind of chemical company built for the climate era. Our breakthrough technology eliminates emissions by turning CO2 into essential products. We are a team of scientists, engineers and problem solvers on a mission to fundamentally shift the way the world addresses climate change and lead the transition to a fossil free future with our carbon transformation technology.
In the Engineering Manager, Test Stand Development role, you would have the opportunity to be an integral part of a company that is on a mission to lead the way to a fossil free future through carbon transformation. You would be impacting climate change while working at the intersection of research and design. Your designs would be expediently deployed for use in research at a substantial and growing number of test stations. Test stands are the primary way we learn. This team enables our researchers to focus on research while trusting the data they received from the test stand team. Our team is in control of the hardware specifications. In this role, you would collaborate with other teams while reporting to the Sr. Manager, Prototype Engineering.
You could make an impact on Twelve’s mission in this role by delivering systems that will work for our researchers. At Twelve, R&D teams use our platform as the basis for experiments. You would lead a multidisciplinary team that focuses on fluid handling, mechanical, electrical and firmware. The team will be developing, prototyping and building new testing systems and methods for investigating CO2 conversion. Among the objectives of the test stand team is to make our data robust and trustworthy. We are seeking someone who would be excited about Twelve’s mission as well as working in R&D within a startup environment.
This is a full time role based in Berkeley, CA
What you will do
- Lead a hands-on multidisciplinary team to develop and build the next generation of test stands and related equipment. Focus is on delivering systems that work for our researchers.
- Decide what to build so researchers can run their systems and learn what they need to learn.
- Define, implement and improve our design processes to find the right balance between our prototype projects and our production projects.
- Define the project roadmap by taking into account future production needs and new feature requests.
- Act as a technical mentor for our design engineers.
- Define project requirements, schedules, and milestones, while managing progress towards those milestones.
- Design and prototype systems and instrumentation for CO2 conversion processes.
- Investigate and validate new characterization techniques through the use of sensors, hardware, and test methodologies.
- Integrate equipment such as pumps, mass flow controllers, power supplies, data acquisition devices, microcontrollers, and gas chromatographs into new and existing systems.
- Develop and document design activities, work instructions, and operating procedures for new equipment and systems.
Who you are
- You have 10+ years of experience as an individual contributor and 2+ years of experience leading teams of engineers.
- You are equipped to work on projects that might not be clearly defined at the outset.
- You have demonstrable hands-on experience designing and building pressurized gas systems (valves, piping, flow and pressure control, etc.)
- You have experience building integrated systems that include controls and data acquisition.
- You have led projects with multiple contributors in a professional setting. This includes projects with cross-functional requirements of varying complexity.
- You are able to thrive in a dynamic and collaborative environment.
- You have experience prototyping across several disciplines of engineering, such as through prior work experience or hobby projects, and can demonstrate at least 3 of the following:
- CAD experience (especially design and fabrication of custom parts)
- Active participant in safety culture with HAZOP/DFMEA experience
- Experience with data acquisition systems and software (MATLAB, Python, LabVIEW, etc.)
- Experience with fluid handling devices like pumps, valving, heat exchangers, and instrumentation
- Experience working with compressed gasses
- Electronics experience specifying and installing sensors with different interfaces such as analog current and voltage signals as well as digital communication
- Understanding of laboratory characterization equipment such as gas chromatographs or gas analyzers
- Experience with PLCs and HMIs
- Familiarity with electrochemical systems like fuel cells, batteries, electrolyzers, etc. and relevant characterization equipment like potentiostats
- You have a degree in a STEM field.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid sick days and vacation
- Competitive salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience
- Diverse and inclusive work environment
At Twelve, it's important each employee is compensated competitively and fairly. In alignment with state legal requirements, Twelve conducts exhaustive research to understand compensation markets. A range for the included position is listed below. Be advised, actual offer details are determined by job category, job location, and candidate skill level.
United States Wage Range: $148,000 - $185,000
Please note that some pay bands may have wide ranges of compensation to accommodate candidate's diverse sets of skill levels.
We believe that the unique contributions of each individual is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Want to work with us but don't see a current opening that fits your background? Email us at email@example.com.
Potential Twelve Candidates, please be aware of potential recruiting scams. Twelve will never ask you for payment or your payment information in order to pursue a career here. If anyone has requested such a payment or payment information in relation to a Twelve position or if you believe that someone outside Twelve has impersonated a Twelve recruiter or employee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you and be safe!