As a Senior Systems Engineer in System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA), you will lead a small team (2-4 engineers). Together, you will be responsible for developing a solution for the functional safety and performance characterization of the Localization system for an autonomous vehicle. You will work closely with software, firmware, hardware, and systems engineers to define the approach for localization error analysis and fault handling using both analytical and simulation methods. You have strong technical skills, demonstrate intrinsic ownership of projects you work on, set the bar and lead by example on technical excellence and decision making. You balance this with empowering the team and thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Solve complex technical problems related to localization, sensor calibration, timing and safety of the vehicle.
- Formulate and prototype new solutions, presents ideas, anticipates potential objections, and brings parties together to build consensus.
- Establish an approach to validate a ground truth model, define/build the tools as necessary, and empower the team to deliver.
- Perform or review detailed simulation and analysis of the localization system and fault monitors.
- Work with design and hardware engineers to characterize architectures and support system requirement decomposition into component requirements
- Review, approve and provide guidance for architecture proposals and design verification plans
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- B.S. or higher degree in Engineering or Science, including Robotics, Computer Science, Aerospace, Automotive, Electrical, Mechanical, Systems Engineering, or other related fields.
- Min 5-8 years of work experience with complex, safety-related systems (depending on qualifications and other factors)
- Experience with localization systems and algorithms or data fusion for safety-related applications
- Experience with IMU, cameras, lidar, or wheel/motor speed sensors on vehicles
- Experience with GNSS ground truth
- Experience with high fidelity mapping
- Proficiency for scripting and/or programming languages: e.g. Python
- System development experience within standards such as: ISO-26262, ISO-21448 (or other regulated fields)
- Experience certifying safety critical hardware or software across full development cycle
- Experience using requirements management tools such as Polarion (preferred), DOORS or Jama
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $196,000 to $281,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position. Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.Vaccine Mandate
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR
have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.About Zoox
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.Follow us on LinkedInA Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.