About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
Equilibrium was founded with a vision for building a company where data-centric decision-making drives our operations. Our reliance on closed-loop, science-infused, autonomous workflow decision-making puts data at the foundation of everything we build and operate. Further, our business model of assembling adjacent clean power businesses that rely on a common digital and science platform necessitates a common data foundation that works across our entire company. In short, data is the beating heart of our organization and the keystone to our efforts to fight climate change.
We are looking for an experienced principal data platform architect to lead the design and guide the development and operations of our end-to-end company data landscape. This senior technical leader will provide the technical direction for all things data at Equilibrium, including directing engineering investments into our data platform and tooling, data model architecture, data ingestion, data storage, data transformations, and data pipelines leveraged by all of Equilibrium. This leader will be supported and surrounded by top tier engineering management, technical leads, domain subject matter experts, and engineers to implement and maintain our data vision. In turn, the data landscape will serve as the foundation for all of Equilibrium’s engineering, product, and commercial efforts. This is a unique role and opportunity within Equilibrium, and we’re looking for a unique leader to drive our vision forward.
What you will do
Serve as our data landscape technical architect, leading the codification of our data landscape principles, vision, architecture, and roadmap
- Codify our data landscape technical principles and vision
- Codify our standard data lifecycle patterns for cross company data use needs, including online operational and offline analytical needs
- Specify architecture to support our data patterns, including our technical approach to data ingestion, storage, transformation, warehousing/lakes, pub/sub, usage patterns, access patterns, and archival
- Codify our approach to data contracts, service level agreements, managing metadata, data catalog management, and data access
- Codify our high-level technical roadmap to achieve our architectural milestones
Serve as our data landscape subject matter expert, leading the specification of our data landscape techniques, tools, services, and systems
- Lead the research, assessment, and selection of our data landscape techniques, tools, services, and systems
- Oversee the implementation of selected tools, services, and systems to ensure desired capabilities and performance
Serve as our data landscape approach evangelist, continuously improving the utilization of our data landscape patterns, tooling, and workflows
- Evangelize and continuously improve our approach to data ingestion, storage, transformation, warehousing, and usage
- Evangelize and continuously improve our approach to implementing mature data contracts and service level agreements
- Evangelize and continuously improve our approach to implementing metadata management, catalog management, and user access management
Serve as our data quality evangelist, nurturing our data accuracy, availability, ease of access / understanding, and utilization
- Codify and continuously improve our approach to prioritizing, observing, and improving data quality
- Inform our approach to managing data lineage, new data ingestions, archiving, etc.
Serve as a collaborative senior technical leader, informing and engaging on our cross-company technical and engineering priorities
- Serve on our engineering senior technical leadership team representing our data landscape vision and needs
- Serve as Equilibrium’s subject matter expert on data best practices, standards, architectural approaches, and complex technical tradeoffs
- Mentor technical leaders across the organization, especially in their understanding of and utilization of our data landscape
- Collaborate with peers across the company to improve Equilibrium’s technical and product capabilities in support of our climate change fighting mission
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Passion for fighting climate change
- An advanced degree in computer science, data engineering, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, operations research, or related quantitative discipline
- 10+ years of experience designing and implementing globally distributed data services platforms
- 10+ years coding experience (Go, Java, Python, or other applicable languages)
- Experience developing and operating large-scale data pipelines demonstrating knowledge with technologies such as Airflow,DBT, Luigi, Spark, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, RDBMS and SQL
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience building and optimizing big data data pipelines, architectures and data sets
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Experience codifying build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management
- A successful history of extracting value from broad sets of diverse datasets
- A collaboration-first mentality with a willingness to teach as well as learn from others
Nice to have additional skills
- Familiarity with time series data transformation and ingestion
- Strong understanding of data science concepts
- Expertise in distributed database systems, data lakes and data meshes
- Expertise in leveraging wide-but-shallow data sets for commercial value (i.e., Equilibrium has lots of data types, but each data type is relatively shallow in quantity of data)
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.