The ocean is critical to human and planetary health —but ocean health is in rapid and accelerating decline. We believe that we have the responsibility —and ability —to act.
Running Tide is a global ocean health company. Our fast-growing, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists, engineers, and maritime operators, design and implement interventions that rebalance Earth’s carbon cycle, decarbonize global supply chains, restore marine ecosystems, and revitalize coastal communities. Our corporate operations, business development, communications, and policy teams support Running Tide’s front-line workers in scaling our interventions to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges: restoring ocean health and combating climate change.
We are seeking an Embedded Software Engineer to join a small, high performing team located in Portland, Maine.
You’ll have the opportunity to build software in a fast paced environment onto devices deployed in a harsh environment. You’ll be building software that runs on equipment used every day and is vital to the success of the company. One day you’ll be heads down writing code and the next you’ll be out on a boat validating your code works and training the team how to use the software. If the idea of being given a task and being told to figure out how to solve it and launch it asap excites you, then we are a perfect fit. This position requires being onsite for testing your code, local applicants only please.
- Develop and architect embedded software for our aquaculture monitoring platforms using low-power microcontrollers and embedded Linux systems
- Lead sensor integration from concept through to production (sensor selection, prototyping, software development, and assist with test/calibration process)
- Write unit tests to validate the functionality of your code
- Board bring up and hardware design validation
You Are (or You Have):
- Desire to fight climate change
- Ability to jump between many programming languages and context
- Experience in C/C++
- Experience with Zephyr & nordic preferred
- Experience with NodeJS and/or Python preferred
- 3-5 years embedded software and/or firmware development experience with experience with microcontroller and Linux development
- Comfortable using hardware debug tools (DMM, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers) and software debug tools
- Experience with various bus interfaces and serial protocols (I2C, SPI, RS-485, etc)
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa at this time.
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do "more good" rather than "less bad" in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.
All offers of employment at Running Tide are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.