About Us All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change? At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there. We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us. Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.The RoleWe are seeking a senior finance leader focused on Financial Planning & Analysis ( as well as other key strategic initiatives such as fundraising and project finance. This person will drive on financial planning, business modeling and management reporting activities and will require someone to work in a fast-paced, growth stage environment to drive decision making and Heirloom’s growth trajectory. This person will report to the Head of Finance.
What you'll do
- Inform improvement by analyzing financial and operational processes and performance (including revenue, cost of sales, expenses and capital expenditures-- both total and unit economics, by product and business division) and driving efficiencies.
- Own budgeting, operating plan, and financial forecasting. Work with each department lead to develop budgets on a quarterly/annual basis. Track monthly actuals to budget and provide overview and analysis to inform any necessary changes in the business or forecast. Develop project level budgets and track capex deployment against them.
- Create management dashboards and reporting and coordinate functional updates from required team leads to communicate performance and trends (monthly and quarterly). Lead effort to automate reporting.
- Prepare presentations for senior management, investors, and Board of Directors.
- Develop high-fidelity equipment capex forecast models that align with manufacturing processes and hardware design. Help drive equipment design decisions that will maximize return on capital and minimize assembly cost.
- Partner with R&D teams to project detailed CapEx and Opex cost-down pathways to help inform technology roadmap
- Partner with Supply Chain and Deployment teams to facilitate accurate cost recognition, inventory tracking and fixed assets recording.
What you'll bring
- 7-10 years of experience in finance, 5+ years in scaled industrial manufacturing, preferably with some experience with R&D-scale production as well.
- Deep passion, enthusiasm, and commitment for tackling climate change.
- Demonstrated skill in partnering across teams and working hands-on with team members. Ability to distill large amounts of data into insights necessary to drive decision making.
- Clear, concise oral and written communication and presentation materials
- Ability to work in an environment where priorities can change quickly; strong ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy; highly organized
- Experience in start-up and/or manufacturing organizations
- Advanced Excel with experience in building financial models
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and benefits
Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom
Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Target compensation for this role is between $150,000 and $200,000 depending on level and experience.