At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! The Bioprocess Operations Technician will support cultivation of cell-based meat, as well as other laboratory and bioprocess operations. The Bioprocess Core Team is made up of operational experts, who specialize in the execution of process development experiments. The ideal candidate will carry out assigned tasks according to SOPs, enthusiastically voice ideas for process improvements, and be a flexible team player. Together, we can change the future of food.
- Performing aseptic cell and tissue culture techniques in a biosafety cabinet.
- Preparing media and buffer solutions.
- Maintaining and operating bioreactors and cultivators.
- Performing routine maintenance on process equipment.
- Recording data and observations into an electronic laboratory notebook or batch record.
- Drafting new and reviewing continuous improvements to SOPs.
- Maintaining process specific inventory of parts and consumables.
- Adhering to and enforcing good lab practices, including cleanliness, safety (PPE), and waste handling; takes immediate action to correct any potential safety issues.
- B.S./B.A. preferably in Life Sciences or Engineering with 1+ years experience or A.S. in a science related field with 3+ years experience in a bioprocess manufacturing environment or other regulated industry.
- Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels.
Who you’ll work with…
- Bioprocess Core technicians operating experiments and working in the lab with you.
- Laboratory Assistants who will support you and others with some routine tasks and lab upkeep.
- Process Development researchers, scientists, and engineers advising or executing more complex experiments in the lab.
- Lab Operations who can help you implement systems that you will then maintain.
- Cell Culture Media group, which may advise/collaborate with you on media and/or stock solution prep, storage, labeling, etc.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Complete initial training within the first 2-4 months.
- Able to competently complete any assigned tasks within the first 5 months.
Compensation Range: $45,000 - $75,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- 3 Weeks PTO Accrued Annually
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.