Aspiration is in the business of fighting the climate crisis. We help people and businesses build sustainable impact into what they do every day by making it easy, automated, and powerful -- whether it is in the ways people spend and save their money or the ways businesses engage their customers and employees. The estimated cumulative climate impact of the Aspiration community thus far is the equivalent of taking every car in the state of Connecticut off the road for a year. Aspiration is a certified B Corporation and, in fact, has been named to the “Best for the World” list of the top five percent of highest scored certified B Corporations four years in a row. Aspiration has raised over $550M in funding to date and is growing quickly.The GIS Analyst is a member of Aspiration’s Investments Department supporting the Carbon Program team. The Analyst will report to the Senior Director of Carbon Program Monitoring & Engagement and support all GIS data needs and analysis for project evaluation, risk assessment and long-term monitoring with a focus on nature-based carbon projects (e.g. reforestation, habitat restoration, regenerative agriculture, etc). The function of the Carbon Program Monitoring & Engagement team is to provide technical expertise, project design and monitoring guidance and on-going support to Aspiration’s carbon project partners and internal departments. This role will encompass both technical responsibilities such as geospatial and remote sensing data analysis, modeling, map development and reporting as well as project partner collaboration on GIS activities. It is essential that the Analyst brings a strong analytical, interpersonal, and collaborative skillset. As a virtual-first company, there is no preference to location in the United States. Be part of building an innovative and inclusive financial future.
What You'll Do:
- Provide GIS support for carbon business investment opportunities, including producing maps and performing spatial analyses to inform project evaluation and due diligence as well as long-term performance monitoring
- Conduct spatial analyses and predictive modeling in collaboration with the Aspiration Data Science team to assess risk at project sites based on historical and current data (e.g. meteorological data, forest gain/loss, NDVI, carbon stocks, land use change, etc)
- Assess geospatial indicator data for each project and for the Program portfolio to provide reporting on project and Program level performance against set targets
- Produce map products, including interactive web maps, story maps, high-resolution imagery and other graphic products to clearly communicate complex scientific topics to different audiences
- Provide GIS technical support and training to Aspiration staff or project partners so they can effectively interact with GIS data from cloud platforms or ArcGIS online
- Perform advanced GIS database design, administration and maintenance to ensure the integrity, accuracy and accessibility of data layers and metadata for multiple users in a variety of environments
- Develop, program and maintain custom GIS applications, scripts, and tools to automate processes in collaboration with the Data Science team
- Compile, integrate and analyze data from a variety of sources, including aerial photography, satellites, terrain, topographic, hydrologic, and time-sequenced event data, in order to provide a concise visual representation of complex topics
- Query and acquire publicly available authoritative GIS datasets to support primary data collection methods
- Collaborate with the Product, Marketing and Enterprise Services teams to explore GIS integrated product solutions for customer interfaces and provide GIS data reporting for customers, website, presentations or thought leadership
- Occasional national or international travel may be required to conduct primary geospatial data collection or GPS training for project partners in the field at project sites
What You'll Bring:
- BA/BS in GIS, cartography, geography, computer science, environmental science, or related field with 4+ years of practical GIS experience
- Expertise with ESRI ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro and ESRI-based web interfaces such as Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, and Web Application development
- Demonstrated experience performing spatial analyses, modeling, analyzing high-resolution imagery and producing professional maps
- Strong understanding of geodatabases and the ability to work with vector and raster datasets and edit shapefiles
- Experience working with different coordinate systems, map projections, and datums
- Proficient in mobile data collection methods including Trimble GPS, and Esri mobile applications for data collection
- Knowledge and use of other geospatial data analysis platforms such as Upstream Tech Lens, Global Forest Watch, or Restor preferred
- Ability to synthesize, interpret and communicate scientific information to a wide variety of audiences
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Experience within carbon offsets, conservation, habitat restoration, reforestation or regenerative agriculture sectors is a plus
- Excellent communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills, attention to detail, effective time management, ability to work and learn independently or with a team
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaborative skills, bringing empathy and cultural sensitivity to partnership interactions
- Good vibes, curiosity, tenacity, flexibility and a desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment -- you’ll be joining a very fun, high-growth entrepreneurial team!
What You'll Get:
Aspiration is proud to be an ESG company. We are an equal opportunity workplace. Diversity at Aspiration is not just compliance-driven. Diversity is our compass to drive equitable practices; to celebrate individuality; and to foster the uniqueness within each of us that makes our products, services, and culture better than most. Yes, we are proud to be a DEI company and we encourage everyone, inside and outside of Aspiration, to show up as you are and as you want to be, every day.
- Work for a mission-driven company to transform the lives of millions by building a better, values-oriented financial firm.
- Opportunity to be part of and to contribute to ESG, as a steward of social and environmental change.
- Participation opportunities in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion employee activities and events
- Robust benefit offerings, including medical, dental, vision and 401k.
- Parental Leave expansion (12 weeks of paid leave over the course of a year)
- Pet Insurance and other voluntary benefit plan offerings
- Unlimited vacation time and 80 hours of sick time annually
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Work from home setup and equipment reimbursement
- Semi - annual performance reviews
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
This organization participates in E-Verify. Find more information here
Please review our CCPA Policies