Piclo is the leading electricity flexibility marketplace. The climate crisis means that now, more than ever, we need to act. Here at Piclo, we believe we are not powerless against climate change and are focused on enabling the transition to a decarbonized, resilient and energy-secure future. Our team is on a mission to decarbonize the grid.
The proliferation of distributed energy resources (DERs) has made flexibility services (also called non-wire alternatives) critical to enabling our decarbonization plans. Piclo helps network utilities and system operators procure flexibility to balance their grids and connect more renewable generation and electric vehicles. We are the global leader in operating these flexibility markets with top international clients in Italy (Enel e-distribuzione), Portugal (E-Redes), the UK (UK Power Networks, SP Energy Networks and Electricity Northwest) and Lithuania (ESO).
The US market is strategically very important for our company. In December 2022, we launched with National Grid to deliver a marketplace for flexibility services in the New York State area and are looking to expand into new markets.
Piclo is a rapidly growing team (currently over 50 people) with offices in London and Milan and a new office being opened in New York this year. Piclo has backing from the Clean Growth Fund, Mott MacDonald Ventures and Green Angel Syndicate. Our company's values are: be human, collaborate, keep things simple, be adaptable, be open & push boundaries.
Our team welcomes everyone to work together on our mission. We don’t believe that anyone should be discriminated against for any reason, be that age, nationality, gender, race, sexual preferences, religious beliefs, political leanings or disabilities. We welcome diversity among our colleagues and see it as important that everyone is supported and comfortable working with us.
Who we are looking for
Piclo is seeking a Policy and Regulatory Affairs Manager to grow our presence and drive a marketplace approach to flexibility market development. This person will be responsible for:
- Analyzing and participating in key policy and regulatory developments at a federal level and across target states, including identifying impacts, opportunities and risks to Piclo’s business development, operations or product design
- Developing a detailed understanding of regulatory incentive mechanisms for flexibility in key states (e.g. cost recovery)
- Growing Piclo’s presence at events, trade associations, industry work streams
- Being the US market policy expert and contributing to Piclo being a market and thought leader in the US energy market
- Communicating our position on policy, regulatory and market topics via channels such as blogs, thought leadership, industry events or consultations, plus working in tandem with marketing to shape and grow our presence.
Our ideal candidate meets many - but not necessarily all - of the below criteria:
- 4 years minimum work experience managing policy and regulations in the electricity sector
- Expert in electricity system policy and regulatory developments in the States; ideally regarding flexibility markets and utilities
- Excellent communication skills with experience leading on consultations, white papers, blogs and external facing materials as well as participation in events
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- You have an entrepreneurial attitude with a demonstrated ability to work independently, flexibly and resourcefully. You will help clear the path for everyone to do their best work.
- You are an incredibly motivated and organised person. You enjoy the process of prioritizing work and setting timelines while collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- You are an excellent communicator who can build relationships with teammates from different disciplines, making sure that everyone is clear about what’s required of them.
- You are based in the Northeast US (Tri-state / New England) and willing to travel periodically for customer meetings or business development opportunities, mostly across the US
- You are able to travel to London periodically for team building and onboarding.
- You’re fluent in English, even if it’s not your first language.
- You have an understanding of NYISO and ISO-NE market mechanisms. You understand the impact of FERC2222 and how it affects the energy ecosystem.
- You have experience in scale-up environments.
- You are motivated by Piclo’s mission to decarbonize the grid and align with our values.
- You are naturally empathic and are always mindful of the humans who use and benefit from your work.
About the role
This role sits within our Commercial Team and would be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
1. Policy and regulatory development: understanding and influencing market development to support growth through:
- Developing Piclo’s policy activity at a federal and state level
- Coordinating across international regions where required e.g. UK markets
- Developing market understanding of and monitoring key developments in target markets, including regulatory frameworks and utilities and flexibility service providers
- Internally capturing opportunities, risks and competitors
2. External and internal communication of Piclo’s policy positions
- Contributing to Piclo being viewed as a thought leader in this space
- Leading on or contributing to the development of communications to support the above, including but not limited to consultation responses, white papers, and blogs.
- Feeding into and coordinating with product and marketing workstreams where relevant
3. Stakeholder coordination
External: Engaging, growing and influencing key stakeholders such as regulators, government, utilities, trade associations and flexibility service providers, including participation in relevant events and webinars. Overseeing and managing projects with consultants/external parties where necessary
Internal: Aligning closely with comms and marketing to ensure market understanding and insight are reflected in their workstreams. Being the US market policy expert
What we can offer
Joining Piclo means you’ll be part of a high-performing, passionate team that is right at the heart of accelerating the Energy Transition. In addition, we are pleased to offer the following:
- Competitive compensation package
- 25 days holiday - excluding Bank Holidays
- 40-hour week - with flexible working hours
- Remote working - with a minimum requirement to come into the office periodically, to meet with your team
- A monthly expense budget for the extra kit or tools you might need to get your job done to the best of your abilities at home
- Annual allowance to spend on professional development, additional equipment, or your mental and physical wellbeing
- Quarterly off-site - where the whole company gets together
How to apply and interview process
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy and Regulatory Affairs Manager” in the subject line (or click the Apply button below) and tell us about your skills and experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Please include a copy of your CV or the URLs for your personal site or Linkedin profile, as well as URLs to any relevant public repositories that might support your application. Please note that, at this stage, we’re more interested in hearing why you think you’re a good match for us and the role.
We generally conduct interviews in three stages, lasting approximately 2-3 weeks depending on everyone’s calendars.
We conduct interviews in three stages
- Introductory call: we’ll invite you for a short video call to discuss your experience and what you’re looking for in your next role.
- Challenge: If successful, applicants will be invited to complete a challenge relevant to the skills required in your role
- Final interview: if successful, applicants will then be invited to a final, in-depth interview to meet additional members of the team