Construction Manager (Hybrid)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Range: $120,000 - $140,000, plus bonus
Reports to : Vice President, Operations
About The Company:
NineDot's name derives from the classic mathematical puzzle for sparking out-of-the-box solutions. As a leading community-scale, clean energy developer with a growing portfolio of projects across a range of technologies, NineDot Energy is creating innovative energy solutions that support a more resilient electric grid, deliver economic savings and reduce carbon emissions. We plan to develop, build and operate more than 400 MW of clean energy systems by 2026 that will strengthen the local power grid infrastructure and provide clean, reliable and resilient power to tens of thousands of New York households and businesses. This is all in support of New York State’s mission to achieve 100% clean energy by 2040.
With the backing of the Carlyle Group - one of the largest private investors in renewable energy - NineDot is rapidly expanding its core team to scale its energy storage pipeline and continue innovating new products (i.e. vehicle-to-grid, community energy, etc.) to advance the decarbonization of New York’s grid. This is an exciting opportunity to build a platform from the ground-up with a world-class team of developers and innovators. NineDot is committed to building a company that exemplifies diversity, equity and inclusion values in its team culture, as well as business practices and community engagement.
NineDot Energy is currently hiring for an experienced and talented Construction Manager to successfully execute across multiple contracted projects and coordinate new projects under development from pre-construction through construction completion/closeout activities. Applicants should have experience in BESS construction and prior experience managing small teams. Accountability is vital to this role as is maintaining project budgets. Responsibilities include oversight of site Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC), Consultants(s), quality, budget, schedule, and general progress of the construction project(s) to ensure compliance with project requirements. This extends to general project management and support when projects are not under construction.
Roles and responsibilities
- Oversee the scheduling of all assigned projects ensure project start dates and budget targets are met by closely managing construction budgets, schedules, and on-going operations.
- Develop and manage EPC RFP process and participate and assist in EPC and Subcontractor Contract negotiations.
- Coordinate project engineering, permitting timing expectations, major material specifications, availability, and delivery timing with Pre-Construction.
- In conjunction with APMs /PMs, review and approve Construction Schedules, review project buyout for scope coverage, proper subcontractor, and budget obtainment
- In conjunction with the Development team, manage complete project takeoffs including production rates, labor, equipment, materials, and subcontracted work.
- Oversee and assist in the management of mitigating and resolving potential claims.
- Monitor QA/QC Results and provide immediate attention when there are issues.
- Review Potential Change Orders and Change Orders for accuracy and negotiate.
- In conjunction with senior leadership, minimize and manage warranty claims and any associated remediation work.
- Ensure completion of all commissioning and closeout activities including required closeout documentation, performance testing, and owner closeout documentation.
- Perform monthly project budget reviews against sold budget, construction budget, and historical costs on similar projects, providing budget performance updates as needed or as requested.
- Oversee and review the development, implementation, and maintenance of the company's safety program.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate policies, procedures, and processes to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Directly supervise the project management team.
- Oversee pre construction planning activities, including subcontractor quote soliciting, descoping, subcontractor selection, and contracting.
- Work cooperatively with the Director of Project Development and staff to help strategically complete the critical paths to bringing projects into construction.
- Perform regular project site walk-throughs to ensure safety compliance, contract performance, adherence to schedule, and quality execution.
- Oversee the timely completion of all accounting-related duties, such as invoicing, collections, AP invoice approvals, contract issuance, quarterly reporting (WIP, Projections, etc.), revenue, budget reviews, and cash flow projections.
- All other duties as assigned.
Competencies for Success
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; conducts excellent and honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Able to relate well to all individuals within and beyond the organization; builds appropriate rapport along with constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing With Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Creativity - Capable of coming up with new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly, capable of learning new skills and knowledge, good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Intellectual Horsepower - Demonstrated ability to deal with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Building Effective Teams - Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her/their team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Innovation Management - Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can project how potential ideas may play out in the real world.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in construction management, business, or in a related field
- 5+ years of experience in construction preferably in the renewable energy industry
- Prior management experience
- Proven knowledge of construction procedures, codes, estimating, safety and scheduling best practice
- Passion/history for clean energy projects is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to evaluate priorities and multi-task accordingly while keeping others apprised of status with respect to deadlines
- Must be detail and results-oriented with an ability to work in a cross-functional, fast paced, and constantly evolving environment
- Familiar with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Working experience with Microsoft Project
- Experience with Asana is a plus
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time, and prioritize workload
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Some of NineDot roles require that individuals be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to exemptions for medical or religious reasons, as well as any other reason required by applicable law or order. Should you be selected for an interview, your recruiter will provide additional information.