Director of Procurement (Hybrid)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Range: $150,000 - $165,000, plus bonus
Reports to : Chief of Staff
About The Company:
NineDot's name derives from the classic mathematical puzzle for sparking out-of-the-box solutions. As a leading community-scale, clean energy developer with a growing portfolio of projects across a range of technologies, NineDot Energy is creating innovative energy solutions that support a more resilient electric grid, deliver economic savings and reduce carbon emissions. We plan to develop, build and operate more than 400 MW of clean energy systems by 2026 that will strengthen the local power grid infrastructure and provide clean, reliable and resilient power to tens of thousands of New York households and businesses. This is all in support of New York State’s mission to achieve 100% clean energy by 2040.
With the backing of the Carlyle Group - one of the largest private investors in renewable energy - NineDot is rapidly expanding its core team to scale its energy storage pipeline and continue innovating new products (i.e. vehicle-to-grid, community energy, etc.) to advance the decarbonization of New York’s grid. This is an exciting opportunity to build a platform from the ground-up with a world-class team of developers and innovators. NineDot is committed to building a company that exemplifies diversity, equity and inclusion values in its team culture, as well as business practices and community engagement.
NineDot Energy is seeking a motivated Director of Procurement that is excited about working in the dynamic renewable energy industry. In this role, you will drive the strategy and execution of procurement for major equipment to efficiently and effectively maximize the value received from suppliers in order to drive continuous improvement in the supply chain to meet business objectives
Roles and responsibilities
- Develop Procurement policies, supplier selection standard operating procedures, lead development and implementation of strategic sourcing strategies, and conduct supplier selection processes to identify the best sourcing options.
- Establish an efficient and user-friendly vendor sourcing, approval, onboarding, and management process within our SAP ERP environment.
- Continuously challenge and improve Procurement processes and procedures aimed at operational efficiencies, cost management, and reducing procurement workload currently distributed within Business Unit and Functional teams.
- Create an annual category strategy that examines the market, supplier offerings, current and future needs.
- Track and analyze vendor performance, establish and maintain relevant KPI’s, monitor and manages relevant metrics including: spend analytics, operational efficiencies, supplier performance, warranty recovery and benefit capture from procurement activities.
- Monitor supplier contractual compliance.
- Develop strategies and tactics to improve supply chain and purchasing leverage while strengthening vendor relationships.
- Drive the implementation and valuation of strategic opportunities for cost improvement across all managed categories and utilize supplier partners and internal resources to drive change.
- Meet with internal departments and business unit stakeholders on a regular basis to align on high-target leverage spend opportunities and to plan leveraged sourcing, contracting and procurement activities.
- Draft, negotiate, lead, and manage finalization of agreements ensuring all contracts are properly executed in accordance with company policies.
- Partner with stakeholders to optimize value, improve processes, rationalize supply base, leverage growth, and reduce costs.
- Ensures the prompt and effective delivery of essential goods and services with minimal time lag.
- Support and monitor all procurement activities for adherence to policy and procedures.
- Periodically develop requests for proposals (RFPs) for high dollar value spend items and evaluate bid responses and recommend bids of acceptable quality, cost saving and payment terms for final approval.
- Handles administrative matters including preparing and submitting the budget for approval and setting department goals as aligned with targets/goals established by the management team.
- Monitors, assesses and controls the department’s financial and operational performance and takes action to redirect activities as appropriate.
- Leads cross-functional teams in the development and implementation cost reduction initiatives.
- Manages key suppliers to ensure that they meet their contractual obligations and strives to leverage sourcing cooperation for mutual benefit.
- Review pricing proposals, prepare comparative pricing analysis reports and submissions to the appropriate leadership teams.
- Benchmark pricing against best-in-class industrial trends using ERP tools, procurement processes and policies aimed at minimizing risk, and maximizing profitability for the company.
- All other duties as assigned.
Competencies for Success
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; conducts excellent and honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Able to relate well to all individuals within and beyond the organization; builds appropriate rapport along with constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing With Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Creativity - Capable of coming up with new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly, capable of learning new skills and knowledge, good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Intellectual Horsepower - Demonstrated ability to deal with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Building Effective Teams - Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her/their team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Innovation Management - Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can project how potential ideas may play out in the real world.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Required education and experience
- 10+ years of procurement experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain/Supply Management or related field, MBA preferred
- Exceptional and proven managerial skills
- Strong financial acumen with consultative, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Ability to coach and be a game-changer, inspiring our businesses to give their best continuous improvement effort and setting the vision/direction for many initiatives
- Solid knowledge and demonstrated understanding of sourcing and/or purchasing leadership, vendor relations, procurement, sourcing, distribution, and tracking program savings and supplier service KPIs
- Passion/history for clean energy projects is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to evaluate priorities and multi-task accordingly while keeping others apprised of status with respect to deadlines
- Must be detail and results-oriented with an ability to work in a cross-functional, fast paced, and constantly evolving environment
- Familiar with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Experience with Asana is a plus
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time, and prioritize workload
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Some of NineDot roles require that individuals be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to exemptions for medical or religious reasons, as well as any other reason required by applicable law or order. Should you be selected for an interview, your recruiter will provide additional information.