Director of Regulatory Affairs (Hybrid)
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Salary Range: $170,000 - $190,000, plus bonus
About The Company:
NineDot's name derives from the classic mathematical puzzle for sparking out-of-the-box solutions. As a leading community-scale, clean energy developer with a growing portfolio of projects across a range of technologies, NineDot Energy is creating innovative energy solutions that support a more resilient electric grid, deliver economic savings and reduce carbon emissions. We plan to develop, build and operate more than 400 MW of clean energy systems by 2026 that will strengthen the local power grid infrastructure and provide clean, reliable and resilient power to tens of thousands of New York households and businesses. This is all in support of New York State’s mission to achieve 100% clean energy by 2040.
With the backing of the Carlyle Group - one of the largest private investors in renewable energy - NineDot is rapidly expanding its core team to scale its energy storage pipeline and continue innovating new products (i.e. vehicle-to-grid, community energy, etc.) to advance the decarbonization of New York’s grid. This is an exciting opportunity to build a platform from the ground-up with a world-class team of developers and innovators. NineDot is committed to building a company that exemplifies diversity, equity and inclusion values in its team culture, as well as business practices and community engagement.
The Director of Regulatory Affairs will have responsibility for developing the strategy for engaging external partners from federal, state and local government and electric system operators and utilities. The role will also coordinate with other regulatory policy making bodies, and industry trade groups as required in support of the NineDot's mission to accelerate the path to a 100% clean energy by 2040. The Director will also support the effort to identify emerging market requirements stemming from energy markets, regulators as well as. The function will oversee the compilation of regulatory submissions in support of new product introductions as required.
Roles and responsibilities
- Oversee federal and state regulatory actions and initiatives that affect NineDot and the renewable energy industry.
- Develop responses to protect NineDot's interests and improve the regulatory climate and report out internally to senior leadership.
- Lead the development and maintenance of a roadmap for policy and government advocacy for the state and federal policy and advise business functional leaders on strategy for when, how, and who to engage at federal and state agencies.
- Cultivate relationships with key legislators and regulators, and advocate before relevant elected officials and public entities including governors, state legislators and regulators, and state and local agencies.
- Establish and implement strategies to communicate policy positions to key federal, state, and local government constituencies.
- Identify and collaborate with contacts at relevant local and state level associations to facilitate and strengthen the organization's influence.
- Represent NineDot at industry conferences and events,
- Manage relations with lobbyists, trade associations, coalitions, and other external parties to advance NineDot’s public policy objectives.
- Develop, lead and manage the Regulatory Team, including the assignment of tasks and responsibilities and timely and effective performance management of staff.
- Interpret previous, current, and new legislation and regulations that will have an impact on NineDot’s projects and business strategy.
- Support product development teams with regulatory expertise.
- Lead policy and regulatory advocacy before federal agencies and Congress, as well as energy regulatory and policy agencies in priority Eastern states.
- Drive profitability and reduce costs by accessing government supported incentives and limiting regulatory and tax burdens.
- All other duties as assigned.
Competencies for Success
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; conducts excellent and honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answer.
- Interpersonal Savvy - Able to relate well to all individuals within and beyond the organization; builds appropriate rapport along with constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact.
- Perseverance - Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Dealing With Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture.
- Creativity - Capable of coming up with new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions.
- Technical Learning - Picks up on technical things quickly, capable of learning new skills and knowledge, good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Intellectual Horsepower - Demonstrated ability to deal with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Building Effective Teams - Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her/their team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Innovation Management - Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can project how potential ideas may play out in the real world.
- Planning - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Required education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, government, policy, communications or business or related field or equivalent experience
- 7 plus years of progressive work experience focused on policy and regulatory affairs or government service in energy or environmental domain
- Prior experience working at or advocating before Congress, public utility commissions or energy/environmental agencies.
- Strong understanding of energy markets and regulation, energy distribution networks and technology, and distributed energy compensation issues.
- Exceptional and proven managerial skills
- Passion/history for clean energy projects is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to evaluate priorities and multi-task accordingly while keeping others apprised of status with respect to deadlines
- Must be detail and results-oriented with an ability to work in a cross-functional, fast paced, and constantly evolving environment
- Familiar with Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Experience with Asana is a plus
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time, and prioritize workload
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender expression, gender identity, sex, age, ancestry, marital status, protected veteran and military status, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status of an individual or that individual’s associates or relatives that is protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Some of NineDot roles require that individuals be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to exemptions for medical or religious reasons, as well as any other reason required by applicable law or order. Should you be selected for an interview, your recruiter will provide additional information.