Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow? Role Description
Form Energy is seeking a Staff Materials Engineer to improve the reliability and lifetime of the core energy-storing cell. As part of our Battery Products team, you will work closely with the Cell Design and Development teams to lead failure analyses and define critical design requirements. This role will require hands-on work in the lab and cross functional collaboration to define, select, and verify cell materials to increase cell production yield, performance, and lifetime.
What You'll Do:
- Design, execute, and analyze experiments to define requirements, select materials, and complete in-house and vendor qualification
- Work with vendors to develop new polymer materials for specialized applications
- Drive root cause analyses into mechanics of failure and propose design solutions
- Lead analysis for failure and reliability of cell and components
- Develop characterization methods to evaluate compatibility of materials, corrosion, creep, fatigue, fracture, and track material properties as key performance indicators
- Champion for safety, especially in the development of new laboratory processes and cell designs
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years hands-on experience working with polymer development, failure analysis, and material characterization
- Experience bridging technical gaps from R&D and product development
- Comfortable independently advancing experiments from conception through data analysis with a high level of attention to detail
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills within a group of peers and the broader organization, including remote team members
- Enjoys a fast paced work environment
- Academic degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field
- Experience with statistical data analysis software such as Minitab, Jmp, or Tableau a plus
- Experience working with electrochemical devices a plus
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.