Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our north star is to erase billions of tons from annual greenhouse gas emissions and create a thriving future.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators to create deeptech companies that can solve hard climate problems, and reshape multi billion $ industries.
Together, we co-create radical solutions that slash emissions in hard to abate sectors, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and cool the planet. We shape the most promising ideas into new companies, funded by Marble.
We're proud to be backed by leading climate investors across Europe and the US.
Hard Climate Problem: Bioproduction
The chemicals and fuels sector account for a major share of greenhouse gas emissions, among other externalities. Aviation and chemicals alone account for 4% of global emissions (about 2 gigatons) with expected demand growth that far outpaces other hard to abate industries. These two sectors are also lagging behind in net zero goals.
Essential products like fertilisers, plastics, fabrics, rubber, paints, also rely on petrochemical feedstocks and energy intensive processes at every step.
Bioproduction offers promising routes to clean chemicals. However, the field has historically been slowed down by inefficient pathways, slow R&D cycles and key scaleup bottlenecks that available technologies cannot overcome. With a few exceptions, commercialisation has been limited to low-volume, high-value products.
We are interested in new pathways and tools that could overcome these barriers and unlock the true power of biology to clean the most polluting industrial sectors.
- Biocatalysis platforms (microbial or cell-free) for commodity chemicals and fuels, using either model or non-model organisms. Which approaches could break the barriers in the bioproduction of high-volume, low-value molecules?
- Sustainable aviation fuels: scaleable pathways for high energy biofuels or intermediates, new biorefinery approaches, feedstock innovations
- Novel bioreactors and biohybrid systems for improved scaleup performance
- Computational biology for improving metabolic flux balance, pathway engineering, retrosynthesis, and other applications in bioproduction
We are actively looking for new Founders in Residence to join us, either:
- As First Founders to scope entirely new approaches
- As Co-Founders for projects in development within Marble
If you are a mission-driven individual with deep expertise in one of the areas below, or any adjacent field, we would love to hear from you!
- Synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, molecular biology, with experience in strain selection, pathway engineering, design of genetic circuits, or relayed
- OR Computational biology, systems biology, with applied experience in retrosynthesis, flux balance analysis, fluid dynamics, and other predictive modelling
- OR Enzyme engineering, with experience in enzyme optimization, enzyme immobilisation and other methods to enhance stability and activity
- OR Bioelectrochemistry, environmental sciences or related, with exp. in microbial or cell free systems, electron transfer, enzyme redox wiring, in real-world conditions
- OR Bioprocess engineering, bioreactor design, ideally with industry experience in optimising scale-up performance and techno economic modelling
Nice to have: fundamentals of chemical and process engineering, separation technology, techno economic modelling, life cycle assessment
Who We Are Looking For
We encourage you to apply even if you feel you don’t meet all requirements. We know that some skills can be learned while you are building.
We value intelligence, creativity and Founder Potential:
- You dream of founding your own company and build a stellar team.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
- You know how to communicate about deeply technical subjects in a way that speaks to non technical individual to spark their interest
- You are self-motivated, outcome focused, and action oriented. You enjoy working on multiple project areas with an interdisciplinary team, in a fast-paced environment.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You approach radically new ideas with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You understand that innovation starts with people. You enjoy building collaborations within a team and with external partners.
What We Offer
As a Founder-in-Residence, you’ll be joining like-minded individuals who also believe in the need for deeptech solutions to fight climate change.
- For First Founder opportunities, you would be scoping entirely new approaches together with us, before we go on to find your future co-founders.
- For Co-Founder opportunities, you would be partnering with a Founder in Residence who has already been developing a great idea within Marble. You will have the opportunity to meet her/him before making any big commitment — to learn more about the idea and evaluate how well you’d be working together!
In both cases, we offer (among other things)
- A €2500 monthly allowance during your participation in the programme
- A €250,000 pre-seed investment on startup creation, if you are successful. You and your team will own 80% of the company at pre-seed.
- Full-stack support in our venture creation programme
- Mentorship and guidance at every step of the way
- Hands on support across technology and market research, landing interviews with experts and customers, techno economic modelling, roadmap and scaleup strategy, sourcing your future co-founders and advisors, and more
- Access to an unparalleled network across science, industry, talent, investors, mentors, and other climate deeptech founders
- Access to our research insights, knowledge base and curated resources
- Weekly check-ins, work sessions in our Paris HQ (or remote) and continuous peer learning with other programme participants
- Seed Fundraising support after the programme. Introductions to the best seed investors and help with term sheet negotiation.
- Founder Visa sponsorship if you wish to relocate to France. Remote participation is possible, preferably from Europe and with regular in-person meetings.
How To Apply
We are currently taking applications for the April 2023 cohort:
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage women and people of colour to apply.
Studies have shown that under-represented candidates are less likely to apply for a role unless they feel they meet every single qualification.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and mission-driven cohort. If you’re excited about the programme but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with what you read on our website, we encourage you to apply anyways!
For a full list of FAQs, please visit our website.