Wildlife Works is a community-centered wildlife conservation company that implements market-based initiatives to protect the planet’s threatened wilderness and endangered wildlife. The company was founded on the premise that if we want wildlife in our world, it has to work for local communities who share their environment. Wildlife Works’ conservation projects drive direct financing to forest communities to fund their own economic development while preventing millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions from entering the atmosphere annually.
The Journalist will write and edit original content that represent the views and work of Wildlife Works to elevate our industry leadership and reach, influence and engage our various target audiences. The Journalist will act as an internal journalist and creative writer, originating engaging human-interest stories, opinion pieces and position papers sourced from our various departments globally and develop our own unique voice that weaves together science, spirit and storytelling. Written pieces will elevate Wildlife Works’ leadership, work, values, and uniqueness by presenting new perspectives on trending topics or on conventional climate and conservation narratives.
- Originate long form articles on topical issues ranging from high level climate, conservation and climate justice issues to technical topics concerning the Voluntary Carbon Market
- Identify and articulate our unique angle on community-centered conservation and climate action topics
- Tell the human-centered stories on the climate and conservation crisis to elevate the impact of rights-based
- Write accompanying articles to our technical and research papers and content that make them relevant and accessible to our key audiences outside of the technical and academic groups (such as private sector and regional development partners)
- Write press releases
- Edit marketing materials for public audiences for Marketing and Communications department and other departments on demand
- Pitch articles and stories and /or mange the pitching by comms agency to media
- Co-manage communication and relationships with media and communication agency including writing media questions responses and comms issues management, rebuttals
- Some marketing material writing and editing (website, key messages, brochures, presentations)
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field preferred
- At least 5 years professional writing experience in the climate, environment or conservation space
- Has experience with writing on or shows deep understanding of the perspectives and nuances of climate justice
- Exceptional experience in collaboration with national and international teams across multiple cultures and styles.
- Excellent writing skills, with robust attention to detail
- Other languages a plus - specifically French or Spanish
- The ability and desire to travel nationally and internationally.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Preference will be given to candidates located in California, North Carolina and Vermont.
- Health Care Plan with Fertility Benefits
- Dental and Vision
- 401K with Company Match
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary, AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability