The Forest Products Chain of Custody Auditor’s primary service is to conduct Chain of Custody audits for a network of clients. This is a contract position located in Belgium.
Relevant Chain of Custody Services/Schemes
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
- Other Chain of Custody Program services, as applicable
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct robust and detailed Chain of Custody audits
- Perform audits in industrial and urban settings, at companies such as sawmills, door manufacturers, veneer manufacturers, paper distributors, printers, etc.
- Generate high-quality audit reports, ensuring accurate, detailed, and consistent descriptions of evidence and findings
- Independently, or with teams, assess management practices of organizations related to applicable certification standards
- Be proficient in program and certification requirements, ensuring a pragmatic approach to a wide range of auditing circumstances while maintaining the integrity of the certification scheme (e.g. FSC, PEFC, SFI, etc.)
- Communicate Chain of Custody requirements to clients clearly, effectively, and concisely
- Communicate regularly with clients ensuring that Corrective Action Requests are closed within appropriate deadlines
- Communicate promptly with SCS staff on the scheduling of audits and revisions to draft reports, if needed
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, natural resources, sustainability, environmental studies, or a related field
- ISO training certification or willingness to complete the ISO training offered by SCS
- 2+ years of professional experience in the forest products sector
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred or in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, a minimum of 4 years of professional experience in the forest products sector
- Fluency in English and Flemish with work experience that involves professional and technical written communication in English and Flemish
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong customer service and teamwork orientation
- Initiative, good judgment, ability to work independently, responsive, and adaptive personality
- Applied experience in auditing and/or quality assurance
- Proficient with business software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Information Communication Technology tools (Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.)
- Ability to travel domestically for audits as needed
- COVID-19 vaccination status will be requested to support client requirements, as needed. Your response is optional.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Currently qualified as an FSC, PEFC, and/or SFI Lead Auditor
- Dutch or French language skills are a plus
This is a home office-based job and requires travel for on-site audits with our clients 75% of the time. Must be able to physically travel to audit sites, and a driver's license is required. Primarily computer-based work, and must be able to speak and listen in person and on the phone.
Home office and on-site client visits. Site visits may include assessing manufacturers, distributors, storage facilities, and ports. Appropriate work attire and safety gear are expected (e.g., closed-toed shoes, field PPE, etc.).