Voltus represents the "potential of us" to better manage energy through simple, cost-free energy management products. Our commercial and industrial customers generate cash by allowing us to be their energy expert while we deliver innovative energy management. We are a remote-by-design company, which enables us to hire the best candidate without geographic limitations. We hire teammates who are bright, gritty, and good and who have a genuine passion for delivering a cleaner energy future and for working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Role
Voltus has an immediate opening for an enterprising Senior Manager of Regulatory Affairs who is hungry to use policy development, regulatory process, law, relationship building, and a deep fighting spirit to advocate for distributed energy resources at the federal, state, and wholesale market level. The Regulatory team is responsible for advocating for policies that fairly reward innovative energy technologies for the services they provide. This wholesale market regulatory expert will help the team’s work to decarbonize, decentralize, and disrupt the energy sector.
You have a fierce intellectual curiosity and desire to make things work, logically and functionally. You are a creative thinker, and can incorporate ideas across a variety of disciplines through your excellent communication skills. You are self-motivated but collaborative, longing to work in an environment that constantly asks you to learn and give your very best, and with an unparalleled desire to advocate for innovative policies to galvanize our clean energy future. You're an energy nerd (or have a desire to become one!) and want to disrupt the status quo by working hard and having fun while doing it. You must be a successful relationship builder, policy advocate, and able to use the right combination of “sugar and vinegar". Last but not least, you are Bright, Gritty, and Good, and can function well in a fast-paced, virtual environment.
The successful candidate will initially work closely with the Chief Regulatory Officer, but will take on increasingly independent responsibility. This position is an opportunity to take on as much responsibility as you want. Voltus is a remote company and the location of the role is determined by the employee. You can expect limited travel (up to 10%).
- Track initiatives (rulemakings, proposed tariff changes, etc.) in 2-3 markets, and identify the near and long-term potential impact on the company’s business.
- Determine a course of action when necessary, whether individually or by working with trade associations, to influence initiatives and collectively advocate for change.
- Be a public spokesperson on behalf of the company’s interests, by participating in stakeholder meetings, drafting comments, and meeting with critical players (e.g., Commissioners, RTO employees).
- Master our business by working across the organization ( Energy Markets, Operations, Engineering, Sales, Finance) and use that knowledge in advocacy.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders, including regulatory commission(er)s, federal agencies and officials, state energy officials, ISO/RTOs, environmental groups, consumer, and trade associations.
- After 3-6 months of onboarding, manage your responsibilities with limited oversight from the Chief Regulatory Officer.
What We OfferSalary: base pay is $110,000-$160,000, commensurate with experience, with 10-20% bonus paid semi-annually, and equity. Voltus also offers a range of benefits including: unlimited leave for full-time employees, parental leave, and a comprehensive benefits package to promote health, wellness, and financial security. At Voltus, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer because we recognize that a diverse organization begins with a diverse candidate pool. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or marital status.
- 2-3 years experience in energy policy or regulation, with clear, successful outcomes from direct advocacy.
- A JD or other graduate degree strongly preferred, or other commensurate work experience.
- Excellent writing skills. You will operate at times as essentially a one-person law firm, and must be able to draft regulatory filings when necessary.
- Excellent oral communication and relationship-building skills, with the ability to work with industry and stakeholder partners to grow and/or defend the overall market for distributed energy resources.
- Excellent project management skills. Must be incredibly efficient while also exercising judgment in allocating limited resources.
- Ability to effectively marshal knowledge across a variety of disciplines (engineering, energy markets, finance) and distill it to concise, understandable verbal and written communications.
- Comfort with basic data analysis, such as using Excel to analyze financial impact of regulatory changes.
- Comfort with measurable performance metrics and results-driven accountability.
Interested applicants should visit our website (https://www.voltus.co/join-us/regulatory-affairs) to submit their resume and writing sample, and answer two short questions about their interest in Voltus.