The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
The Climate Reality Project is seeking an experienced prospect researcher to expand the organization’s fundraising efforts and provide critical support to the Advancement Department. The Prospect Research & Development Manager will execute the department’s prospect research strategy, including pipeline development and portfolio management, conduct prospect research, as well as provide strategic direction to senior management on prospective donors with major gift and principal gift capacity. This is a unique opportunity to take ownership of a prospect research program, while working independently and collaboratively with a small fundraising team.
Currently reporting to the VP of Advancement, the Prospect Research & Development Manager has no direct reports.
This is a hybrid position, currently expected to work from Climate Reality’s downtown DC office at least two days per week. The salary for the role is $85,437 year.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Prospect Research & Identification – 55%
- Develops, executes, and leads the organization’s prospect research strategy, identifying and qualifying prospects to support Climate Reality’s work.
- Directs and leads research workflow and scope of work of research team members, including the management of research consultant.
- Leads and conducts in-depth research on prospective individual donors and foundations for significant financial impact, utilizing wealth and propensity screenings, relationship mapping science tools, public records, and other sources. Significant emphasis placed on identification of new external prospects regionally or by issue to support organizational programming and priorities.
- Synthesizes research to develop concise and thorough research reports, profiles, briefing documents, and recommendations for President/CEO, Chairman, board members, and gift officers.
- Fulfills timely research requests for leadership as requested.
- Actively identifies and qualifies institutional giving prospects and opportunities.
- Becomes familiar and well-versed in current supporters and their background, and proactively share up to date information, current events, and opportunities with gift officers and leadership.
Prospect Management – 25%
- Implements and executes progressive pipeline moves management, as well as portfolio development and optimization to ensure refined, focused, and balanced portfolios for gift officers.
- Plans, organizes, and participates in regular prospect review meetings, providing key donor insights and strategy to gift officers, and advising on plans for engagement and solicitation.
Prospect Analytics – 15%
- Formulates data analytics tools and practices to proactively identify new prospects for pipeline, patterns and trends in prospect pool, and strategic recommendations to gift officers and leadership.
- Manages and maintains Salesforce reports, dashboards, tracking systems and lists to monitor fundraising performance, prospect analysis, and portfolio upkeep (including assigning and monitoring engagement and cultivation tasks).
- Prioritizes and ensures data accuracy and integrity of donor information in Salesforce, including regular upkeep of information.
Other – 5%:
- Actively identifies new research tools and processes.
- Manages research intern as needed.
- Uphold organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion by identifying areas to increase diversity of prospect and donor pool.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and values, and the principles of diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion
- 2-3 years’ experience in a prospect research field
- Proven track record of identifying and qualifying prospects, with emphasis on external prospects
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information into digestible and accessible information for leadership and fundraisers
- Innate curiosity
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies
- Familiarity with utilizing analytics in a CRM, Salesforce preferred
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once, and balance time sensitive and changing priorities.
- Ability to think strategically, take initiative, and use sound judgement
- Ability to work independently with a small fundraising team and remain flexible
- A self-starter
- Experience and advanced understanding of research tools and software, iWave preferred
- Knowledge of APRA’s Body of Knowledge a plus
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Optimistic and positive attitude a must
The Climate Reality Project has adopted a competency-based approach to job definition, hiring, performance assessment, and professional development. The following are our seven organization-wide competencies and examples of how they manifest for this role.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Actively listens to others and seeks to understand diverse perspectives; proactively and effectively manages larger teams; demonstrates the ability to effectively supervise.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances; takes initiative to solve problems, improve processes, and/or achieve outcomes; learns quickly when faced with new situations or systems.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Written communication is clear and concise; verbal communication is intentional and straightforward; clearly communicates a shared vision and priorities for the department; clearly conveys objectives, deadlines, and expectations to supervisees.
- Time and Project Management: Manages multiple competing priorities, tasks, and projects effectively; holds staff and self accountable for achieving objectives; effectively manages conflict among the team, seeing conflicts as opportunities, integrating diverse views and finding common ground, and settling differences in productive ways.
- Professional Development: Actively learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder; supports supervisees’ professional development by providing opportunities to put skills into practice; connects supervisees to other advocates, experts, mentors, and resources and to substantive training opportunities.
- Climate Justice: Knows and understands how systems and structures perpetuate inequities internally and externally; fully supports the organization's efforts to change said systems and structures; works to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment in Climate Reality spaces (workplace, events, trainings, and other convenings).
- Climate Reality Mission and Focus: Is passionate about Climate Reality's role and mission and can act as a Climate Reality ambassador to a diverse set of audiences; stays up-to-date on climate trends, impacts and solutions.
In addition to organization-wide competencies, each role has its own competencies. Below are examples of how each competency manifests in this role.
- Communication Skills: Prepares briefing documents in a concise manner; synthesizes information from various sources in a timely manner.
- Technology and Data Systems: Can use technology relevant to job duties effectively; manages internal electronic document storage effectively, including for the purposes of donor stewardship; uses and prioritizes the use of CRM software relevant to job duties.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates proficiency in working with numerous internal stakeholders, builds relationships, and ensures best practices that support data collection and tracking of necessary information; thrives on meeting new people and getting them excited about shared passions and interests, naturally thoughtful in engagements.
- Customer Service Orientation: Navigates sensitive information and situations with discretion and effective follow-up; handles difficult partnerships/relationships.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Climate Reality, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Prospect Research & Development Manager’ in the subject line.
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.