Based in Berkeley, CA, UPSIDE Foods grows meat, poultry, and seafood directly from animal cells. These products are not vegan or vegetarian—they are delicious meat, made without the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals. UPSIDE Foods recently became the first company in the world to receive the US FDA greenlight for cultivated meat, and UPSIDE’s cultivated chicken will be available to consumers following USDA inspection and label approval.
Founded as the world’s first cultivated meat company in 2015, UPSIDE Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) has achieved numerous industry-defining milestones, including being the first company to produce multiple species of meat (beef, chicken, and duck). The company believes that people shouldn’t have to choose between the foods they love and a thriving planet, and is working to build a better food system with access to delicious, humane, and sustainable meat, poultry, and seafood. UPSIDE Foods has won various industry awards, including New York Times’ Good Tech Awards, FastCo’s Next Big Thing in Tech, and the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation by the National Association for Business Resources. UPSIDE Foods has raised a total of $608 million, including from the Abu Dhabi Growth Fund (ADG), Baillie Gifford, Bill Gates, Cargill, John Doerr, John Mackey, Kimbal and Christiana Musk, Norwest, Richard Branson, Softbank, Temasek, Threshold, Tyson Foods, and others.
About this job
The role will be directly responsible for developing, implementing and leading the Total Rewards strategies for the company. The incumbent will partner with our senior leaders to ensure program alignment with the company's business strategies and that delivery of capabilities is sufficient to achieve business success. The role will be heavily guided by both the strategic intentions of both the HR and Finance Departments, particularly in terms of the development of fixed and non-fixed compensation frameworks including salary review standardization, job leveling and market based compensation processes, equity plans, benefits and reward programs. The incumbent must be capable of strategically designing and operationally applying their total rewards knowledge and possess robust project management skills to shift the lens for the company's employees to "total rewards" rather than just compensation. In addition, the incumbent must also be capable of presenting their recommendations clearly and accessibly in the form of reports and spoken communications with the HR, Finance teams, and senior leaders - presentation skills are therefore key requirements for the role.
- Work with business leaders to create an overall total rewards philosophy and strategy that aligns with and supports key drivers of the company business strategy.
- Design, develop, implement and lead compensation, benefits and reward and recognition programs which align to corporate strategies and support business success.
- Analyze data, create recommendations and prepare reports and presentations for executive committee and board of directors, considering various internal and external factors.
- Evaluate programs, keep abreast of legislation, trends, marketplace changes and advances and make recommendations to ensure competitiveness and compliance in all relevant markets.
- Analyze the cost/benefit impact of designed programs using routine to complex financial models.
- Prepare and distribute communications to inform stakeholders of important messages related to rewards.
- Partner with the HR and Finance Operations teams to align total rewards strategies and programs within our HR and Finance technology and reporting strategies.
- Develop total rewards reporting related to program utilization, spend versus budget program user and recipient feedback, legislative compliance and market competitiveness.
Develop customized reporting and analysis to examine specific concerns or issues related to total reward programs and leverage this information to identify opportunities and/or recommendations for program enhancement/improvement.
- Provide thought leadership to the broader HR and Finance team on matters related to total rewards philosophies, strategies and/or methodologies.
- Analyze the competitive compensation landscape and make recommendations of market positioning and pay for the various roles and job families in the company.
- Own and lead the annual merit and bonus cycle supported by HR and Finance teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Finance. Advanced degree(s) considered an asset
- 7+ years of progressive experience across total rewards
- 5+ years of experience at a management level in total rewards Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Can easily switch between detailed execution and broader thought leadership
- Professional curiosity that supports critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Extensive professional knowledge and strong understanding of business concepts to develop advanced approaches or resolve critical technical and/or business problems
- Ability to generate innovative new ideas to attract, retain and motivate employees through total rewards programs that are flexible to the needs of the company
- Ability to negotiate and influence on complex and/or contentious issues at all levels
- Ability to successfully facilitate design meetings, persuade and negotiate design mechanics, and deliver presentations to all levels of team members, including executive level and senior leaders
- Customer service focus with ability to forge partnerships within the business at all levels
- Detail and deadline oriented, high degree of accuracy and confidentiality, and ability to work under pressure
- Strong, positive management style and sense of urgency around business priorities
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills, combined with effective judgment and communication skills
- Advanced ability to analyze, model and interpret data
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong work ethic and commercially minded
- An understanding of position management and how that is applied within organizations to effectively manage resources
- Experience using reporting tools for data manipulation and reporting is desirable
Who you’ll work with
- This role will partner with the HR and Finance teams, C-suite executives and their direct reports, and employees at all levels of the organization. It will touch all aspects of and be expected to work seamlessly across the company.
Compensation Range: $126,750-$210,000*
*Pay may vary depending on factors including job-related knowledge and skills.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.