Meta Materials Inc. (META®) is a developer of high-performance functional materials and intelligent surfaces that are scalable, sustainable, and efficient. ...View Company Profile
META is seeking a Mitacs postdoctoral fellow at the University of Toronto to work in Dr. Amr S. Helmy Nanophotonics Group and to design advanced meta-optic and photonic device components for a variety of applications such as flat optics, light emitting diodes, and augmented reality displays. The postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to work on cost-effective metasurface based optical components that are integrable with developing micro-LED technologies.
What You'll Do:
The accepted candidate is expected to be proactive in developing novel photonic devices, collaborating with industry partners, and presenting results in conferences. The incumbent must also be able to demonstrate full language proficiency at preparing manuscripts for submission to peer reviewed scientific journals and research proposals to granting agencies.
Some of the typical responsibilities will include:
• Implement full-wave electromagnetic modelling using commercially available simulation packages like Lumerical and COMSOL.
• Develop photonic simulation platforms based on detailed component and system level analyses of state-of-the-art LED technologies.
• Provide guidance to prototyping team to assist with defining photonic design strategies tailored to material and manufacturing limitations.
• Collaborate with the prototyping team to conduct material research and develop material libraries fitted to system integration constraints.
• Analyze data and effectively communicate results through technical reports and presentations.
• Characterize the prototyped optical elements at the component and system levels using spectroscopy measurements.
• Actively contribute to intellectual property development interacting with a team of photonic designers and nanofabrication scientists.
• A PhD degree in electrical engineering, applied physics, or semiconductor optics research.
• In depth knowledge in at least one of the following areas is required: metamaterials and plasmonics, flat optics, light emitting diodes.
• Proven ability in the design and optimization of metasurface structures using analytical models and computational simulation tools (Lumerical, COMSOL)
• Experience with an innovative, fast paced environment proving products meet industry standards.
• Experience with optical lab characterization and spectroscopy is an asset.
• Demonstrated publication record in peer-reviewed journals is a must.
Meta Materials Inc. “META®” (NASDAQ: MMAT) is a developer of high-performance functional materials and nanocomposites. META® delivers previously unachievable performance, across a range of applications, by inventing, designing, developing and manufacturing sustainable, highly functional materials. Our broad electromagnetic technology platforms enable leading global brands to deliver breakthrough products to their customers in consumer electronics, 5G communications, health and wellness, aerospace, automotive, and clean energy. Our nano-optic technology provides anti-counterfeiting security features for government documents and currencies and authentication for brands. Our achievements have been widely recognized, including being named a Lux Research Innovator of the Year in 2021. Learn more at www.metamaterial.com