The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change. Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.As we enter the stage of rapid commercialisation and platform growth we are now looking for an exceptional person to provide a wide range of services to new and existing clients and work closely with them on both long-term strategy as well as playing an active role in implementing Energy Infrastructure projects.You will work closing with the projects teams helping perform a technical analysis on both new assets (such as grid scale batteries and large energy assets) and retrofit opportunities (such as large heating systems, heat pumps). This role also involves working closely with energy suppliers to help them set their technical strategy. This is an exciting and challenging position for the right candidate. We are looking for someone with a strong Electrical Engineering background. You will likely have a background as an engineer to a senior level or have been involved in technical pre-sales. This wide-ranging role combines technical and commercial skills covering all aspects of Renewable Energy infrastructure
What you'll do
- Design, develop and oversee the technical integration and onboarding of the KrakenFlex system on green energy assets. These can range from transmission connected battery and solar plants to smaller distributed energy resources
- Assess the technical feasibility of integrations with the support of in-house specialists (Software Developers, Commissioning and Controls Engineers) as well as external partners and suppliers.
- Give technical presentations to stakeholders
- Develop as a technical SME supporting internal teams on Electrical/Power Systems related discussions and issues
- Undertake site visits where required to better understand site technical requirements
- Attend regular project meetings to support the Project Manager with ongoing integration projects
- Support exploration into new energy markets and regions
What you'll have
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Electrical Engineering or similar technical field
- Experience of working in the Energy Industry (Consultancy, DNO, TNO/TSO, OEM, Energy Trader or equivalent)
- Understanding of Electrical Power Systems and the Energy Market
- Understanding of energy storage and renewable generation
- Strong people and presentation skills
- Able to read and write technical documents and drawings (slide decks, datasheets, SLDs, BCDs)
- Self-motivated and organised
It would be great if you had
- Ability to travel to work with partners, customers and colleagues in other offices (with a clean drivers licence)
- Understanding of computer networks
- Experience in the design of electrical networks for generation plants
- Experience of regulatory documentation involved in the connection of generation schemes in the UK or abroad (G99, Grid Code)
- Experience of interfacing with SCADA systems
Why else you'll love it here
Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we we're voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
Ideally you will be based in the Greater Manchester and happy to come into the office a couple of days per week! But we appreciate that things have changed and flexibility is at the top of everyone's agenda, so if you would rather be remote please let us know. If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.