Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focussed investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
As a Senior Business Analyst, you will be a part of Overstory’s business team. With a business mindset, you will conduct data analysis that drives business decisions.
What you’ll do
- You will be “parachuted” into projects to extract actionable business insights from Overstory vegetation data and customer data. These insights will drive business decisions.
- You will work directly with customers as well as with Overstory's Customer Success Managers, Technical Delivery Leads and the Product team.
- You will conduct customer interviews and workshops to understand their business drivers and cost structures. You will use client data to identify and present how our customers can save costs, reduce risk and increase efficiency by using our product.
- You will support the delivery teams where needed. For example: creating a business case, finding outliers or inconsistencies in our data using QGIS, creating a validation plan, presenting key findings of our scan.
- You will drive data-driven validation by comparing the Overstory satellite-based results with the customer's ground truth derived from other data sources (field inspections or LiDAR). You will compare results and draw conclusions about accuracy in the context of the customer’s use case.
- You will use your knowledge of geospatial data and analytics while using a variety of tools such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Python, Excel and visualization platforms. You will use a range of techniques such as geospatial clustering, network analysis, location-based optimization and basic predictive analytics / modeling.
- You will present the insights that you have extracted back to our customers.
- 5+ years of experience in a business analyst role - conducting data analysis that drives business decisions.
- Minimum of 1 year of GIS experience.
- Experience working as a client-facing business consultant - conducting workshops, building business cases, giving presentations, and working with and communicating business frameworks.
- You are comfortable juggling multiple projects and priorities.
- Nice-to-have: In addition to working as a consultant, you have ideally worked in a Series A/B startup
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 34 people from all over the world. Eleven nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from seven different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team identifies as female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.