Are you ready to rise to the challenge of climate change with the team that will deliver? Form Energy is a U.S. technology and manufacturing company that is developing and commercializing pioneering energy storage technologies to enable the electric grid to run on 100% renewable energy, every day of the year.
Supported by leading investors such as Breakthrough Energy Ventures, ArcelorMittal, TPG Rise, MIT’s The Engine, and others, we share a common belief that low-cost, multi-day energy storage is the key to enable tomorrow’s zero carbon electric grid. Driven by our core values of humanity, excellence, and creativity, we are deeply motivated and inspired to create a better world. We need talented, hardworking individuals who share our goal of tackling the challenge of climate change. Do you want to work with us today to build a better tomorrow?
We are looking for a Materials Engineer II to take a hands-on role in which you will process, characterize, and test new electrode formulations for long-duration energy storage systems.
As a Materials Engineer, you will coordinate electrochemical characterization and materials characterization efforts using internal instruments, as well as manage relationships with external characterization contractors.
You will work closely with materials processing and product development engineers to enable the transition from high performing materials to high performing electrodes. This is an opportunity to have a direct and daily impact on a best-of-its-kind electrode development in an exciting energy technology startup.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and optimize novel materials processing for creating high performance electrodes
- Evaluate and characterize new electrodes and electrode formulations using physical, chemical, and electrochemical techniques
- Perform and coordinate ex-situ materials characterization (i.e., microscopy, SEM, EDS, XRF, ICP, XRD, TGA, DSC) efforts with both internal and external resources
- Perform root cause analysis to understand and mitigate materials degradation mechanisms
- Create standard operating procedures for new, routine characterization efforts
- Generate publication-quality internal report to document all research activity and to propose future work
What You'll Bring:
- Passion for our mission, sustainability, and climate change
- BS or MS in materials science, chemical engineering, electrochemistry, or electrochemical engineering or related fields
- 2+ years experience in collaborative, lab-based materials research or product development environment
- Ability to perform and interpret data from material characterization techniques (e.g., microscopy, XRD, ICP, XPS, SEM, EDS)
- Prior experience in either electrochemical/battery testing or high temperature material processing/metallurgy
- High attention to detail, excellent organizational, and communication skills
- Comfortable organizing and analyzing datasets with scientific programming languages, such as MATLAB or Python
Besides joining a community of people working to make the world better, Form Energy commits to you equitable compensation, stock options, and offers a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need to thrive.
We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for full time employees. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.