Our organizational values: We are ambitious and practical, advancing effective solutions that push the boundaries of the achievable. We are open-minded and inclusive, seeking out and considering a wide range of voices, views, and approaches. We are people-focused, dedicated to improving human well-being and recognizing that respect and empathy are central to success. We are one team, working collaboratively, communicating openly, making ourselves accessible to each other, and treating one another with kindness and respect.
Position Summary: The Manager or Senior Manager, Global Carbon Markets, will play a key role in C2ES’s work on global carbon markets, with a focus on helping to develop the Energy Transition Accelerator, a new voluntary carbon crediting approach for emissions reductions from electric power generation in developing countries. The Manager/Senior Manager will report to the Senior Director for International Strategies, C2ES’s head of global carbon markets. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a dynamic world-class team on some of the most interesting and cutting-edge initiatives in carbon markets. Candidates will be evaluated for the Manager vs. Senior Manager positions on the basis of qualifications and experience.
Salary range: Manager: $75,000-$92,000 Senior: $95,000-$115,000
Position Status: NEW
Major Responsibilities (balance among these and degree of autonomy to depend on position)
- Working closely with the Senior Director, manage C2ES’s role as co-lead of the Project Management Organization (PMO) for the Energy Transition Accelerator, including:
- supporting the Senior Director in leading the “Eligibility and participation criteria” workstream of the ETA, engaging with companies, key nonprofit actors including the Voluntary Carbon Market Integrity initiative (VCMI) and the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi), other NGOs, and the ETA partners;
- participating in other workstreams as needed, including the crediting methodology and finance workstreams;
- assisting the Senior Director in overseeing and coordinating the efforts of the various workstreams involved in the ETA, which will include experts from companies, other NGOs and other institutions;
- supporting the Senior Director in developing recommendations for and providing technical expertise and advice to the ETA Steering Partners;
- preparing slide decks, summary materials, syntheses of information, and other materials;
- ensuring close coordination with counterparts at the other PMO co-lead, Environmental Defense Fund;
- supporting the C2ES President in his engagement and participation in the ETA, including preparation for periodic Steering Committee meetings;
- providing project management support to the ETA as a whole and to individual workstreams, including convening and facilitating meetings, providing logistical support, tracking deliverables, and other functions as needed;
- Author policy briefs, blog posts, and other publications;
- Contribute to talking points and other materials for the Senior Director and President;
- Provide technical expertise and advice on carbon markets to C2ES colleagues and to external stakeholders;
- Contribute as needed to other C2ES work on carbon markets, including on issues related to Article 6 of the Paris Agreement as well as C2ES’s responsibilities as part of the Executive Secretariat of the Integrity Council for the Voluntary Carbon Market;
- Contribute as needed to the work of C2ES’s international team, led by the VP for International Strategies;
- As appropriate, represent C2ES in conferences, meetings, and other forums, and in interactions with stakeholders from government, business, and civil society.
- Expertise in the voluntary carbon market and related areas, such as emissions accounting and reporting, Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, market-based climate policies and economics, etc.
- Familiarity with key issues concerning the use of voluntary carbon credits (e.g., VCMI, SBTi, Oxford Net Zero Principles, etc.)
- Familiarity with the UNFCCC climate negotiations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Humility, collegiality, a sense of humor, and a deep spirit of collaboration
- Good networks and connections in the climate arena a plus
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5-7 years of relevant experience (Manager) or 8-10 years (Senior Manager); OR Master’s degree in environmental management, economics, public policy, law, or related field, plus 2-4 years of relevant experience (Manager) or 5-8 years of relevant experience (Senior Manager).
Employment Status: Full time, benefits-eligible; exempt from overtime.
Reporting to: Senior Director for International Strategies and Head of Global Carbon Markets
Travel, Time & Location Requirements: Location may be in the Washington, DC area or remote; if remote, physical presence in the main office is expected at least 5 days per quarter. Moderate travel expected for international workshops and conferences. While not a requirement, preference will be given to candidates that have the right to work in the United States.
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 80% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the dental premiums.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Long Term Disability and Short Term Disability.
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start with 3 weeks' vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to Two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- Flexible environment.
We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES's DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice.