Scale Microgrid Solutions
Scale Microgrid Solutions (“Scale”) is a fully integrated distributed energy platform focused on designing, implementing and financing innovative distributed clean ...View Company Profile
We are looking for a Junior Power Engineer to work with the Power Engineering team to support the design and procurement of microgrid systems. This is a great role for someone looking to play a role at a fast-growing PE backed business. The role is based in New York City and reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Assist the Engineering and Business Development teams in the assessment of early stage microgrid development opportunities
- Assist the Engineering team in the development of internal design and procurement standards
- Assist the Engineering Team in the assessment of early stage microgrid technologies and potential system equipment Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs)
- Develop single line diagrams and preliminary site layouts under the supervision of a Power Engineer
- Attend site visits to assess existing power infrastructure and equipment installation conditions
- Review interconnection requirements for applicable power utilities and implement required elements in the microgrid system design
- Develop Interconnection Applications for utilities under the supervision of a Power Engineer
- Complete procurement string activities for microgrid equipment
- Support the Project Execution team during and after microgrid construction
- Due Diligence
- Review technical documentation (EPC Contract, equipment specifications, warranties, studies, equipment degradation curves, etc.) during due diligence and construction stage.
- Coordinate with Owner’s Engineer and Independent Engineer during design and construction project phases under the supervision of a Power Engineer
- Support driving the projects in due diligence and in construction to completion per schedule
- Support technical review of inputs to financial models under the supervision of a Power Engineer
- Work with equipment vendors on technical design, procurement, and other related items.
- Review construction submittals pertaining to latest codes and standards
The Ideal Candidate
- BS in Electrical Engineering or other renewable related discipline; Masters of Engineering a plus, but not required
- Relevant internship or co-op experience in renewable energy, power system design, or power utilities preferred
- Completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) license are pluses
- Basic understanding of power distribution components, including circuit breakers, switchboards/switchgear, disconnect switches, inverters, and fuses, is preferred
- Experience drafting in AutoCAD preferred
- Experience in a power system modeling software (ETAP, EasyPower, SKM) a plus
- High-level knowledge of the National Electric Code (familiarity with California and New York local codes a plus)
- Ability to work fluidly between different project stages and have strong analytical skills
- Experience reviewing technical and due diligence documentation a plus
- Ability to communicate between different counterparties involved during engineering phase
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate technical information and strategic goals
- Proactive and forward-thinking attitude and creative problem-solving ability
We offer a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits program including medical benefits, paid vacation and holidays, and 401K matching.
About Scale Microgrids
Scale Microgrids (“Scale”) is a fully integrated distributed energy platform focused on designing, implementing and financing innovative distributed clean energy solutions. Through its leading technical expertise and access to scale capital, Scale helps its customers transition to a decentralized energy future by providing and financing sustainable, cost-effective, and resilient power solutions. Scale has its own proprietary microgrid solution which provides customer with cheaper, cleaner and more reliable power, and also partners with third party developers to acquire and/or finance a broader range of distributed energy assets.
We raised $500MM from Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm focused on growth investing, to fund our business plan and accelerate growth. We are growing quickly and looking to augment the team with highly motivated entrepreneurial talent.
About Warburg Pincus
Warburg Pincus is a leading global private equity firm with nearly $60 billion in assets under management (AUM). Its active portfolio of more than 180 companies around the globe is highly diversified by stage, sector and geography. Warburg Pincus is a growth investor and an experienced partner to management teams seeking to build durable companies with sustainable value. To learn more about Warburg Pincus, please visit https://www.warburgpincus.com/.
Scale strives to attract and retain a workforce that reflects the composition of our customer base and communities. We are committed to providing a work environment that provides everyone equal access and opportunity to contribute and drive meaningful outcomes. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply and will consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.