Who is Optera?
We deliver software and expert services to help the world’s largest companies stop climate change. Our market-leading products provide companies with the tools and insight they need to reduce the environmental impacts of their businesses, supply chains, and products. We are backed by some of the most respected US-based venture capital firms and have a robust client list, including leading Fortune 500 companies such as Dell, Cisco, HPE, Williams-Sonoma, and Target.
What problem are we solving?
We provide companies with the data tools and expert support they need to stop climate change. Major corporations are the largest emitters of carbon emissions. Across the globe, companies are responding to pressure to address climate change by setting goals to aggressively reduce emissions by 2050. Our software enables corporate teams to collect, manage, and analyze emissions data across their operations, supply chain, and products, all with the aim of achieving their goals and saving the planet.
Why work at Optera?
Our team dedicates its skills, talents, and time to make the world a more sustainable place for future generations. We have a collaborative and dynamic culture where everyone plays a critical role and has room to learn and grow. We provide our teammates the flexibility and space to thrive personally and professionally.
Why this opportunity?
Our business is growing faster than ever, and we are looking for a senior team member to lead our Sales Team. We are looking for a VP of Sales to help develop and drive the company's sales and business development efforts with customers ranging in size from Fortune 500s to small independent organizations. You will collaborate closely with the executive team to lead our revenue growth plan. If that sounds intriguing, come join the team that delivers the most effective sustainability management platform in the world.
The Role and Responsibilities
- Lead a high-performing Sales team: build, grow, and manage the sales operations and processes
- Manage progress toward monthly, quarterly, and annual sales targets
- Collaborate with Leadership to develop and refine sales strategy, business planning and OKRs; help to identify and develop new opportunities to ensure growth for both long and short-term targeted lines of business
- Teach and mentor team on efficient/effective implementation strategies to improve sales cycle from discovery call through contracting (e.g. sales training programs; update and expand existing resources and documentation)
- Compile customer trends and communicate/foster collaboration between Sales, Marketing, Services, and Product functions to inform go to market activities and product roadmap
- Engage directly with prospects, when appropriate, to support larger and strategic deals through the pipeline
- Drive strategies to expand and improve the company’s pipeline, customer acquisition, and retention efforts
- Develop tools, resources, and best practices to meet defined OKRs
- Provide detailed and accurate sales metrics and forecasting, including optimize sales pipeline and forecast process with a focus on predictability
- Identify areas for improvement and act to implement positive change
- Ability to foster a team first environment that openly shares knowledge
- Interest in collaborating with all departments and across all levels of the organization
- Strong commitment to fostering a values driven workplace
- Strategic planning, organizational, and creative thinking mindset and skills; ability to understand tradeoffs and make difficult decisions
- Ability to build relationships with potential customers (including executive-level at enterprise companies), understand their environment, and introduce new concepts to solve problems
- Love sales and eager to fluidly move between player and coach
- Skilled at prioritization and multitasking to meet deadlines
- A passion for problem solving, identifying challenges, and implementing solutions
- Expertise in understanding value creation based on customer needs with full sales cycle (qualification, outreach, pitching, RFP management, developing and presenting proposals, run technical workshops, negotiate contracts and closing sales)
- Experience growing and leading an enterprise SaaS sales team; selling into accounts in core markets
- Outstanding track record in growing sales teams and achieving goals
- Experience creating data-driven programs to drive company strategy
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to an audience of varying technical understanding
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills
Nice to Have
- Understanding of the ESG industry and the competitive market
- Prior experience at a rapidly growing startup
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Optera is committed to creating a diverse environment that is safe and welcoming to all. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We take this very seriously and expect that you do too.
- Unrestricted PTO and flexible work schedule
- Recharge Fridays: Every other Friday off
- Health insurance including dental and vision
- Short and Long term Disability Insurance
- 12 weeks maternity/paternity leave (8 weeks paid)
- Wellness budget
- Budget for home/office workstation
- Professional development budget
- 401k with 4% company match and ESG investment options
- Company-wide Bonus program
- Colorado Eco-pass (regional bus pass)
Location: Remote (US and Canada) with optional office in Boulder, Colorado
Base Salary (US employees): $155,000 - $180,000 plus bonus and option for equity
On Target Earnings (US employees): $260,000 - $300,000
How to Apply
Please send a brief statement of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “VP of Sales – [Your Name].”