Industrial Design Lead, Kelowna
Are you curious & creative? Do you have a passion for sustainable products? Does the idea of creating a waste-free future excite you? If so, we’re looking for you!
- Are really interested in electric vehicles
- Appreciate a good debate even with your boss
- Thrive in the grey, bravely finding your way through unknowns
- Figure out how to fix it instead of who is to blame
- Are excited about being a part of empowered teams
- Have pulled recyclables out of the trash
- Believe we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children
- Work to protect and restore the environment
- Aren't afraid to make mistakes as long as we learn
- Care more about your values and intelligence than your experience
- Are committed to creating team dynamics that create empowerment vs. entitlement
Our Core Values:
- Commit to a culture that builds a strong COMMUNITY
- Foster CREATIVITY to inspire fresh innovation
- Embrace COURAGE by taking action despite uncertainty
- Live with Awareness and CONSCIOUSNESS of our choices
As our Product Design Lead, you will be responsible for developing a cohesive Lomi product line, providing design insights & direction as we identify key customer needs within the Smart Waste category. You will work closely with our product development team & cross-department stakeholders to develop new products from initial concept, through iterative development, to multi-channel launch. You will work in a fast-paced, demanding, and fun environment, on a mission to divert billions of pounds of waste from the global waste stream.
We are only actively seeking candidates who are local to Kelowna, BC, or are open to relocating to this vibrant and picturesque city. Kelowna offers a unique blend of natural beauty, a thriving community, and a burgeoning tech scene. Being part of our team means not only contributing to a waste-free future but also immersing yourself in the local culture and forging strong connections within our community. We believe that proximity fosters collaboration and enhances the overall team experience, allowing for more effective communication, shared innovation, and a stronger sense of unity. If you're excited about being a part of our mission and embracing the Kelowna lifestyle, we encourage you to apply, whether you're a resident or eager to make Kelowna your new home.
- Work collaboratively with product & marketing leadership to build out the Lomi Smart Waste category. Grow the Lomi brand through new product development, including new Lomi appliances, accessories & consumables.
- Partner with our Growth, CX & UX departments to identify customer needs. Develop clear feature requirements & documentation to guide execution.
- Research & evaluate market trends, target personas, materials and manufacturing methods to lead innovation.
- Communicate new product concepts & design direction based on research & analysis with digital sketches & renders. Monitor alignment across departments & with sourcing/manufacturing partners to ensure quality & efficient execution.
- Provide product direction throughout the development process, including guidance on color/material selection, shape language, user interface, UX.
- Collaborate with our mobile dev team where physical product development intersects with digital experience to ensure seamless integration & high value to customers.
- Develop designs into CADs with mechanical solutions for prototyping. Work with a CAD engineer to deliver all DFM (Design for manufacturing) deliverables (BOM, 2D drawings, 3D CAD files, assembly instructions, CMF mapping) for our product development team
- Partner with marketing on packaging direction for all products, with a focus on structural design, materials selection & UX. Ensure cohesive & compelling branding & optimize for placement across diverse sales channels.
- Provide direction on aesthetics & optimize storytelling across all Lomi assets. Collaborate with marketing on pitch materials, displays, brochures, etc. to support fast growth across strategic sales channels.
- Forecast industry trends and standards as they relate to relevant products and design. Explore new products, materials, and production technologies, and advocate for how they could be applied to the benefit of our mission.
- 5+ years of experience as a Product / Industrial designer; consumer goods experience is a plus
- ‘Get it done’ mentality - You deliver high quality on time, and come with solutions rather than problems
- Accustomed to working in a fast‐paced, dynamic, deadline-oriented environment
- Minimalistic design approach with outstanding attention to detail, composition, proportions and quality
- UX led design. Sensitivity to human experiences and product use scenarios
- Ability to independently roll out new products from ideation and research to prototyping, detailed design packages, CADs and spec sheets
- Strong ability to bring together function, form, texture, color, materials and production methods
- Strong visual communication skills - ability to clearly express ideas visually, as well as verbally
- Passion and curiosity for all things tech is a plus, specifically mobile connected appliances
- Experience prototyping with 3D printing is a nice to have
- Experience with overseas manufacturing
- Software fluency - must have advanced skills in:
- 3D CAD software (Solidworks or similar)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Premier Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator)
Please provide a link to your portfolio in your application.
Commitment to Diversity
Pela is committed to cultivating and preserving a company culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This means we seek out people with a diversity of opinions and strengths that will be complementary to our existing organization. We know that we will grow and learn better with a diverse team. When recruiting new members of our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, and sexual orientation.