This is a remote position based out of Sydney, Australia - Geli is headquartered in San Francisco, California, USA and has a growing Australia team.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
ABOUT THE JOB
Geli is looking for an experienced python engineer who can support development of the simulations platform. The simulations platform is an essential part of Geli’s software stack, allowing analysts and data scientists to replicate results from production software over years-long horizons to provide estimates to customers, conduct analysis and benchmark algorithms. This position sits under the Geli Engineering team.
You are a motivated self-starter that thrives in a dynamic start-up environment. A strong work ethic with excellent problem-solving skills is equally important to being a team player who enjoys to learn and teach.
- Develop and maintain new services in Python within our microservice architecture.
- Support the data analytics team with your software engineering expertise
- Convert algorithms into robust services
- Mentor and instill software engineering best practices
- Contribute to development infrastructure and processes, such as continuous integration, package management and automated deployment
- Work collaboratively in a diverse environment. We commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements.
- Gain in-depth experience in an exciting industry as you work with storage sizing, energy financial models, energy tariffs, storage controls & monitoring.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- BS or higher degree with 5+ years of relevant experience
- Designing software systems
- Writing clean, maintainable, thoroughly tested, and shippable production python (3.6+) code
- Experience querying and designing databases for structured data
- Expertise in software engineering best practices (design patterns, OOP, data-structures)
- Hands-on microservice experience
- Strong Objected oriented programming skills
- Good knowledge of Software design patterns
- Ability to mentor and lead a team.
- Experience in RDBMS and ORM frameworks like SQLAlchemy
- RabbitMQ (MQTT and AMQP)
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Creating services in Python
- Sound design decisions around messaging architecture, protocols and interfaces
- Backend development experience for web applications, ideally in Flask
- Experience with maintaining products that are in production
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels and teams at Geli
- Willingness to learn and adapt in the rapidly growing energy industry
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Django, Flask
- Redis, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, ElasticSearch
- AWS (EKS, ECS, RDS, EC2, S3, networking)
- Jenkins, PyPI
- Prometheus, Grafana, PagerDuty, NewRelic, Mixpanel
- Slack, Bitbucket, Jira, G-Suite
- Knowledge of Cloud, IoT technologies, and scalable platforms
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact to the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.