The energy industry is undergoing the largest transformation since industrialisation at an unprecedented rate of change and we are positioning ourselves to be at the heart of that change.
Our aim is to be the leading global provider of solutions that enable customers to release £30bn of value per annum from distributed energy resources (DERs). We are building a Software as a Service (SaaS) subscription business with a global addressable market of £2.4 billion per annum, by digitally connecting hundreds of thousands of DERs with energy markets.
We have already attained a market leading position and KrakenFlex is a recognised thought leader and innovator in the industry. Our efforts have not gone unnoticed and we are pleased to announce that we now have the full support and backing of Octopus Energy, an award-winning UK energy supplier who share our passion and values.
We're looking for a Manager for APAC Regulatory Affairs and Policy with a passion for renewable energy and the decarbonization mission, who wants to join a rapidly growing energy tech scale-up. This is a rare opportunity to help shape policy and regulation across the APAC region with an international industry leader. You will be responsible for accelerating the growth of Kraken by building the company’s brand with key energy stakeholders including regulators, policymakers, utilities, advocates, and trade groups. Licensing and implementing Kraken as a technology platform with energy utilities is subject to a myriad of federal and state laws and regulations. Our long-term success will depend on successful engagement with policymakers at all levels. An ideal applicant will be comfortable in external settings, adept at building deep stakeholder relationships, able to roll up their sleeves to understand the details of proposed regulations, a capable writer, a crisp communicator, and an advocate for changes that align with Kraken’s goals. You will report directly to the Global Head of Markets for Kraken and work closely with Kraken’s business development team.
What you'll do
- Provide advice and guidance on the pursuit of APAC energy policy including wholesale markets and balancing markets, to strategically support licensing Kraken to retailers, asset owners, traders and network operators.
- Craft thoughtful, detailed written comments, memos, or presentations to regulators, policymakers and stakeholders as needed to support go-to-market strategy
- Keep our business strategy central to your efforts at all times
- Navigate and track regulatory filings and databases to quickly find relevant documents
- Earn trust with key audiences including utilities and regulators, and build a reputation as a key partner and problem solver
- Develop relationships with other thought leaders and industry experts, including retailers, industry bodies and government.
- Build Kraken brand as an industry expert - draft and file comments, attend and speak at conferences, participate in panels, join hearings and ensure Kraken’s views are represented
- We have a track record of results globally in the policy space, and expect to have a measurable impact in the APAC region as we expand our footprint – we’re looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves and get results
- Work with partners to advance changes to best practices, policy, and regulation to accelerate our growth and close deals in both competitive and regulated markets
- Help guide regional prioritization of finite regulatory engagement resources
What you'll need
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, ideally in a similar role at another climate/energy tech company
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Familiarity with and passion for APAC energy policy.
- Demonstrated aptitude for detailed work on energy regulatory and policy matters, particularly with respect to state climate policies, utility ratemaking, demand-side flexibility, and wholesale energy markets
- Experience engaging with National Grid and other System Operators.
- Track record of delivering results on high profile projects.
- Strong business judgement and the ability to prioritize issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics into clear and simple messages
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work well with colleagues on the Kraken business development team, achieve objectives through effective influencing, and establish credibility with regulatory officials, suppliers and other key stakeholders
- Experience successfully working with consultants, lobbyists, and trade group memberships, and ideally full-time team members
- Comfort working in a low-structure, fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects, and meeting tight deadlines
Why else you'll love it here
- Wondering what the salary for this role is? Just ask us! On a call with one of our recruiters it's something we always cover as we genuinely want to match your experience with the correct salary. The reason why we don't advertise is because we honestly have a degree of flexibility and would never want salary to be a reason why someone doesn't apply to Octopus - what's more important to us is finding the right octofit!
- Octopus Energy is a unique culture. An organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people
- Visit our perks hub - Octopus Employee Benefits
If this sounds like you then we'd love to hear from you.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire. Across Octopus, we're looking for genuinely decent people who are honest and empathetic. Our people are our strongest asset and the unique skills and perspectives people bring to the team are the driving force of our success. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute. Our commitment is to provide equal opportunities, an inclusive work environment, and fairness for everyone.