We are looking for an experienced Compliance & Risk Manager who will play a pivotal role in ensuring Scale Microgrid’s operations meet all relevant regulatory requirements and adhere to best practices in risk management. This role will involve working closely with cross-functional teams, regulatory bodies, insurance brokers, and other external stakeholders to maintain compliance, assess potential risks, develop mitigation strategies, and drive continuous improvement across our microgrid projects. This role will report to our Chief Commercial Officer. The is a hybrid role based in Ridgewood, NJ or New York, NY.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Stay updated on relevant laws, regulations, industry standards, and evolving compliance requirements that impact microgrid development, construction, and operations.
- Work with legal resources to develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of regulatory requirements at the state, local, and federal levels.
- Provide training and knowledge by sharing resources on regulatory requirements and operational limitations to internal stakeholders.
- Provide recommendations and support to internal stakeholders to build compliance requirements into tools and processes where appropriate, including working with project managers to ensure they have obtained all requisite permits and approvals during the project execution process.
- Collaborate with legal, sales, engineering, and operations teams to ensure projects are designed, constructed, and operated in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Implement monitoring and reporting processes to measure compliance.
- Manage and facilitate internal regulatory audits, inspections, and reporting processes.
- Manage company registrations with regulatory institutions and other bodies.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal policy stakeholders to coordinate efforts with external regulatory agencies, industry associations, and other partners.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for regulatory inquiries and audits.
- Provide training and resources on risk management best practices to ensure proactive identification and mitigation of risks.
- Provide risk analysis tools to contract managers and others to facilitate thorough risk assessments for each microgrid project, identifying potential operational, financial, environmental, and reputational risks.
- Serve as primary liaison between Scale and our insurance broker for project-specific insurance and bond requests.
- Prepare standard risk mitigation strategies, contingency plans, and response protocols for commonly occurring project risks.
- Promote a culture of compliance and risk awareness across the organization.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Law, or related field (Masters or JD preferred).
- 5+ years of experience in compliance, risk management, or a related field, preferably within the distributed energy sector.
- Strong understanding of regulations related to the development and construction of energy projects; the production and sale of energy including net metering, community solar, FERC, and environmental compliance; federal, state, and local public procurement.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to assess complex situations and develop effective solutions.
- Relevant certifications in compliance and risk management are a plus.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience developing new processes and tools to improve compliance and risk management across a business.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; proficiency in risk assessment tools and compliance software is a plus.
We offer a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive benefits program including medical benefits, paid vacation and holidays, and 401K matching.
About Scale Microgrids
Scale Microgrids (“Scale”) is a fully integrated distributed energy platform focused on designing, implementing and financing innovative distributed clean energy solutions. Through its leading technical expertise and access to scale capital, Scale helps its customers transition to a decentralized energy future by providing and financing sustainable, cost-effective, and resilient power solutions. Scale has its own proprietary microgrid solution which provides customer with cheaper, cleaner and more reliable power, and also partners with third party developers to acquire and/or finance a broader range of distributed energy assets.
We raised $500MM from Warburg Pincus, a global private equity firm focused on growth investing, to fund our business plan and accelerate growth. We are growing quickly and looking to augment the team with highly motivated entrepreneurial talent.
About Warburg Pincus
Warburg Pincus is a leading global private equity firm with nearly $80 billion in assets under management (AUM). Its active portfolio of more than 250 companies around the globe is highly diversified by stage, sector and geography. Warburg Pincus is a growth investor and an experienced partner to management teams seeking to build durable companies with sustainable value. To learn more about Warburg Pincus, please visit https://www.warburgpincus.com/.
Scale strives to attract and retain a workforce that reflects the composition of our customer base and communities. We are committed to providing a work environment that provides everyone equal access and opportunity to contribute and drive meaningful outcomes. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply and will consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.