Deep Branch is seeking a motivated and skilled Pilot Plant Operator to join our dynamic team. As a Pilot Plant Operator, you will play a crucial role in the development and scaling of our revolutionary gas fermentation platform. Deep Branch uses clean and renewable carbon and energy sources to create sustainable ingredients for the food industry. With strong partnerships across the value chain, we are on a mission to create a more sustainable food system and address the environmental challenges our planet faces.
In this role, you will be responsible for operating and maintaining our pilot plant facility, which serves as a crucial testing ground for our cutting-edge technology. You will work closely with our interdisciplinary team to ensure safe and efficient operation of the pilot plant, conduct experiments, and support the scale-up of our gas fermentation process. This will require strong technical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about sustainability and are excited to be part of a team that is revolutionising the food industry. If you thrive on challenges and are eager to contribute your skills to a groundbreaking technology, then this is the opportunity for you!
Job Title: Operator
Start date: December 2023
Work Location: Geleen, Limburg (NL) - on site
Salary: €2,750 - €3,750 per month
Time commitment: 33.6 hours per week on-shift; 33.6-to-40 hours per week non-shift
- Operational campaigns (shift):
- The pilot facility is typically operated in two campaigns of three months each year;
- For the initial campaign(s), due to the novelty of the process and the facility, 24/7 coverage is anticipated;
- Shift-based work will be required and is expected to follow a 5 shift pattern (2:2:2) which will include solitary working arrangements during certain periods;
- A 33% shift allowance uplift applies to the base salary during shift campaigns.
- Technical support (non-shift):
- A 33.6-to-40 hour work week will be typical for periods when the pilot is not in operation (to be discussed at interview);
- Conventional working hours will be 08:00-16:30 but flexibility is expected.
- Operate, monitor, and maintain the pilot plant facility to ensure safe and efficient operation;
- Support plant safety, maintenance, scheduling, and logistics;
- Conduct experiments and tests to support the development and optimisation of the gas fermentation process;
- Maintain accurate records of plant operations, experiments, and data for analysis and reporting;
- Assist in the design and implementation of new equipment and processes;
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures and work instructions while ensuring compliance with the safety requirements of the site;
- Continuously identify areas for improvement and propose solutions to enhance efficiency and effectiveness;
- Sampling, sample preparation and sample analysis for QA/QC and R&D purposes;
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and other team members to troubleshoot and solve technical issues.
- Minimum of VAPRO B (MBO Level 3) or equivalent qualification
- 3+ years experience working in a highly controlled operational environment working with potentially hazardous substances
- Strong communication skills
- Other: EU Driving License (e.g. NL Licence B), English and Dutch language fluency
Preferred Skills, Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- MBO Level 4+ (VAPRO C, D)
- Fermentation experience, especially operation of various types of bioreactors from small to pilot scale;
- Experience with basic microbiology and sample analysis techniques;
- Experience working in a food/feed production environment
- First aid training;
- VCA-vol qualifications
- Ability to train other operators
- Commuting allowance
- Training and development opportunities
- Company sponsored pensions plan