Since 1984, SCS Global Services has been a pioneer and leader in the field of sustainability standards and third-party certification, working across the economy in the natural resources, built environment, food and agriculture, consumer products and climate sectors. Partnering with companies, government agencies, NGOs, and stakeholders, we are striving to advance sustainable development goals through independent assessment, the application of sound science, and innovative solutions. Through these services, we are enabling decision-makers and purchasers to make informed decisions, giving innovators a competitive edge, and helping to drive the development of leadership standards to create a framework for continuous improvement.
The position of Technical Specialist involves working directly with the Bonsucro program and other programs on an as needed basis. The primary responsibilities of the Technical Specialist includes: Performing onsite audits with clients, managing administrative tasks related to communications with clients; audit project coordination; review of audit reports and corrective action plans; and other audit-related documents. The Technical Specialist is also responsible for documentation and some of its review of all the above-mentioned activities on an ongoing basis in the SCS database and support in document and procedure development. This position reports to the Technical Manager – Bonsucro Program
- Other programs as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform onsite and remote audits of clients using applicable checklists, forms, and tools.
- Prepare audit reports in accordance with program requirements
- Travel up to 60% of the time as required
Audit Coordination & Planning
- Ensure consistent flow of audit projects.
- Prepare audit plans and related audit documents and forms.
- Track and manage audit project milestones and deadlines.
- Schedule and confirm audit date with client.
- Prepare and send client audit plan according to protocols.
- Book travel, hotel, and transportation according to company policy, and submit expense reports.
- Maintain positive client relationships and respond to all client inquiries and concerns
- Submit complete and accurate audit reports within established timelines
- Ensure thorough client records are maintained
- Perform certification review and decision for Bonsucro programs and potentially others
- Prepare clients for the audit process by sending required audit paperwork
- Conduct quality and technical review of audit reports completed by staff auditors and regionally based auditors
- Conduct post-audit review of non-conformity closure evidence
- Apply professional judgement on the quality of audit reports
- Ensure program compliance with SCS quality system
- Maintain new, existing, and archived program files in accordance with program requirements
- Support Specialists and Managers to develop program guidance updates, audit reports, and letters as needed
- Support Specialists and Managers to develop training programs and related materials for Affiliates
- Support organizations and clients when facing technical issues
- Additional tasks as requested by the Director and Manager
- Conduct witness audits
- Attend training to maintain qualification to conduct audits; maintain training records
- Maintain up to date knowledge of Bonsucro standard requirements
- Manage daily email and telephone /Microsoft Teams communications with:
- SCS program personnel and contractors
- Scheme Owners
- Clients and accreditation organizations
- Post high school education degree in the following area, but not limited to environment, agriculture, chemical technology, or food-related disciplines.
- Demonstrable knowledge on the practical application of the Bonsucro Standards, Guidance and Certification Protocol. Or knowledge on sugarcane sector or similar standards.
- Proficient in English and languages spoken in South Asia.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of production and processing schemes similar to the Bonsucro Certification System.
- Demonstrable audit skills and audit experience with certification in agricultural, forestry and/or industrial areas covering the following topics: environmental impact and ecology, health and safety, labour conditions and social aspects, legal framework for production of sugarcane and all sugarcane derived products, traceability / chain of custody schemes, bookkeeping and accounting, group certification
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field (e.g. chemistry, biology, environmental science, or related), or a minimum two years of experience working in a related sector
- Excellent technical writing, observation and data management skills required
- Strong communication abilities and demonstrated abilities in critical analysis preferred
- Ability to complete time-sensitive projects and to provide realistic deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail required
- Initiative and ability to work independently, responsive and adaptive to team environment
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
Education and Experience
- Scope-specific work or study experience, and/or applied experience in manufacturing, agricultural or food production systems.
- 1+ years’ experience in project management or administration
- Excellent technical writing, observation and data management skills required; strong communication abilities and demonstrated abilities in critical analysis preferred.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills; ability to prioritize work and meet deadline.
Additional Preferred Skills
- Proficiency in Salesforce, Outlook, and database management systems preferred
- Experience with third party auditing, certification systems, or other applicable industry standards and/or knowledge
- This job requires travel ~ 60% of the time (Predominately South Asia)
- This is an office-based job ~ 40% of the time.
- Must be able to speak and listen to clients in person and via online video conference call applications.
The above description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
Work Environment and Requirements
- Office work both onsite (facility walk-throughs) at clients and remotely (home office)
*SCS, Working Remotely:
At this time, SCS Global Services is recruiting all open roles to be remote; allowing our employees the ability to work flexibly and allowing SCS as a company to diversify the experience and perspectives of our growing workforce.
As part of our remote work, we want to ensure that our employees have what they need to work from home. We provide our new employees with a computer and can offer assistance in acquiring ergonomic necessities.
$25k to $32k Annually
SCS Global Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. SCS Global Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leave of absence, compensation, and training.