The Software Systems Engineering team is responsible for defining SW development processes and ensuring that all safety-critical software meets a high safety bar for production vehicles.
In this role, you will help design and manage processes, methods, and other artifacts needed to build safety-critical software, that will revolutionize transportation in the 21st century. Borrowing principles from avionics, automotive, and other safety-critical industries, you will work with software engineers throughout the Zoox software org, ranging from state-of-the-art AI Perception, all the way to highly-critical RTOS and middleware components.
- Lead various systems engineering activities that are essential for a successful launch of safety-critical software on a self-driving vehicle
- Interpret industry safety standards such as ISO26262 effectively and identify methods to fulfill those goals in a fast-paced CI/CD software development environment
- Understand existing software architecture and development processes and brainstorm compatible methods for achieving safety goals
- Introduce and manage safety processes for the software organization and guide various teams throughout execution, with strong attention to detail
- Champion the process for qualifying software tools, infrastructure components, as well as 3rd party libraries that are integral to the safe operation of the software system
- Collaborate with the safety team to identify safety requirements, explore redundancy options, and develop methods to ensure system-wide safety goals are met
- Advanced degree in robotics, computer engineering, electronics engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- 5+ years of industry experience in robotics, automotive, aerospace, medical devices or related safety-critical and mission-critical fields
- Prior experience working with production software life cycle development process methods (DO178, ISO26262, SPICE or ASPICE, ISO12207)
- Working knowledge of standard systems engineering tools (DOORs, Rationale, JAMA, SysML, Polarion, etc.)
- Have proficiency in C/C++, python, or Matlab programming/debugging skills
- Familiarity with embedded systems, ECU architecture in automobiles, automotive communication interfaces, or automotive software architectures, etc.
- Shipped software products to market in production automobiles, aircraft, spacecraft or other systems that require safety-critical software in embedded hardware
- Experience with interpreting industry safety standards such as ISO26262 and DO178. Developed processes to fulfill these standards, thoroughly weighing various factors that impact project execution
- Performed qualification of software tools as per relevant safety standards
- Conducted and/or participated in safety audits, defended choices and methods used, and prepared compliance report, deviations etc.
- Subject matter expertise in at least one of these areas. (1) Sensor perception, (2) Motion planning, (3) Drive policy or behavior, (4) Controls and actuation
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $160,000 to $226,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position. Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.Vaccine Mandate
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR
have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.About Zoox
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.Follow us on LinkedInA Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.