Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!Your Responsibilities
You will work be responsible for planning, running, and evaluating critical test campaigns on our pyrolyzer. You will work across functions, collaborating with the mechanical, electrical, and software engineers to determine the most appropriate and purpose-driven tests. You will also develop and modify procedures, commission our pyrolyzers prior to deployment, and test variables that inform our future designs. Your job will be partially hands-on, as you help troubleshoot and build up hardware as needed, and will also involve data analysis and organization. You will work with others to help determine the critical path forward for the company. You will report to the lead test engineer in San Francisco. Best and most importantly, your thorough test campaigns will ensure our hardware will be ready to go out and start saving the world!
In this role, you will bring...
- 3+ years experience in a technical field
- Past success running test campaigns on hardware
- Practical experience with test setups and associated infrastructure
- A familiarity with safety best practices
- An organized approach to working with data
- An excitement for hands-on work
These skills are bonus but not essential...
- You have familiarity with electromechanical systems
- You have managed different suppliers to get the parts you need
- You have some knowledge of pyrolysis, gasification or other thermal conversion processes
- You have a familiarity with Linux, Python and scripting languages
- You have experience with SaaS tools like Datadog and/or time series databases
- Wintergatan Marble Machine instrument experience, must be able to tune and fix instrument.
This role is located at our San Francisco, CA Minifactory and is not open for remote work. The salary range is $110-126k per year, plus benefits described below.What We Offer
· Stock options· Medical and dental insurance· Traditional and Roth 401k· Paid parental leave managed through Cocoon- A yearly professional development stipend· Healthy snacks and lunches· A sweet workplace (both SF Minifactory and CO Miniforge!) with lots of space inside and out· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas. COVID-19
The nature of our work requires the vast majority of our team to be in-person full time. As the COVID-19 pandemic has evolved, we've continuously adapted our safety policy to keep our team safe and productive. Our current safety policy requires the attestation of COVID-19 vaccination to work at Charm. Additionally, we ask that all of our employees and visitors stay home and rest if they have any cold/flu/covid/sickness symptoms.Our Commitment
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.