Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS is collaborating with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with new groundbreaking high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. The mission is to deploy fusion power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To execute this plan, we are looking to add talented people to the team who are mission-driven and treat people well, improve our team by adding diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits, and have skill sets and experience that relate to this role.
For fusion to displace fossil fuels as a primary source of electricity, fusion power plants must be economically competitive with other power generation technologies. The techno-economics (TE) analyst is responsible for developing models critical to evaluating fusion power plants' financial viability and commercial desirability. The candidate will work closely with internal CFS team members to create and evolve economic forecasts and identify opportunities for improvement. This role will serve an essential function within the business development team, supporting communication of the benefits of fusion energy to customers and key stakeholders.
Primary responsibilities will Include but are not limited to:
ModelingContinue the development of a living techno-economic model, using engineering principles, to characterize current and future costs and benefits of ARC, the world’s first commercial fusion power plant. Support the company’s financial modeling based on ARC cost, go-to-market approaches, project structures, and other factors which support assessments of:
- ARC-attractiveness for potential customers and partners.
- Project financing alternatives; and,
- CFS company financing alternatives.Serve as a feedback loop to the R&D and engineering organizations to understand the key levers to drive down ARC costs and LCOEDevelop and assess ARC pricing and go-to-market approaches, including alternatives for the scope of CFS activities, pricing structures, and financings
- Model the first-of-a-kind and forecast future generations of fusion power plants under a wide range of development and deployment scenarios.
- Apply quantitative and qualitative research, case studies, literature reviews, and interviews of industry subject matter experts to identify critical variables and sensitivities important to determining the costs and value of ARC.
CollaborationCollaborate closely with Research and Development (R&D), Software Engineering, System Engineers, Finance, Business Development, and external stakeholders to collect primary data, populate techno-economic models, productionalize the model, and validate model fidelitySupport the evaluation of new R&D opportunities, Open Innovation pathways, technology advancement, and market opportunities across various technologies, including fusion energy devices and power generation and transmission equipment. Work closely with procurement function and key suppliers to refine estimates for costs for the power plant and associated systems.Understand the end customer value proposition and support resolution of customer frictions and development of presentation materials related to analysisCommunicationPresent expert knowledge on the overall energy market, including wholesale and retail electricity, co-generation, and thermal energy carbon capture; perform a long-term financial and economic evaluation to inform technical and business strategy.Synthesize quantitative results to provide insight to potential future technology research and development opportunities.Prepare briefing materials, write and publish research results in internal technical reports , and public-facing presentations, including collaborations with key external partners.
- This role will work through indirect influence with key internal and external stakeholders to accomplish tasks. This role has no direct reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technologies, Business, Economics, Math, Physics or a related field
- Cross-functional experience in energy system engineering and analysis and business and financial development
- Experience working on quantitative issues with simulation models, especially in the energy business
- Exposure to or professional knowledge of engineering of power systems and/or techno-economic analysis of energy systems
- Demonstrated concrete results in operationalizing business analytics while leveraging innovation, technology, commercialization, and project management skillsets
- Development of probabilistic financial models with a focus on energy system modeling and optimization.
- Solid consulting skillset – collaborative teaming, financial analysis, issue-based problem solving, communication, and facilitation
- Software based modeling tools
- Agile project development
- Technical sales team participation
- LEAN / Six Sigma
Knowledge & Skills
- MS Excel (Expert)
- MS Power Point (Proficient)
- Python (Proficient)
- Probabilistic modeling and forecasting
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as autonomously
- Professional knowledge and understanding of thermodynamics and engineering fundamentals, with ability to solve analytical problems related to energy usage and plant optimization from first principles.
- Understand the calculation, derivation, and drivers of variability of key industry metrics including, but not limited to, levelized cost of energy, overnight capital costs, internal rate of return, and utility return on equity.
- Strong organizational abilities to manage many various cases and scenarios; flexibility to adapt to modeling both rough, quick estimates for establishing development priorities and detailed, reliable models for finalizing project specifications
- Adaptability to a start-up environment, capability to take initiative, develop own tasks and timelines, and solve broad, ambiguous problems with limited direct technical oversight
- Proven writing and communication ability, attention to detail, and consistent quality of work appropriate for preparing material for a broad external audience
- Deeply passionate about combatting climate change
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.