All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
The Heirloom team is on a path to creating a sustainable, scalable, and economically viable carbon removal system. This technology - which requires a unique blend of geology, chemistry, industrial engineering, and process engineering - doesn’t yet exist at the scales necessary to make a difference, so we need to build it ourselves.
You will have the opportunity to be hands-on in the laboratory, as well as mentor junior laboratory technicians and work directly with both our research and engineering teams. You will contribute to Heirloom’s R&D program through performing routine analyses, supporting materials characterization studies, and developing our state-of-the-art internal analytical capabilities.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with other research team members to identify analytical needs and priorities related to R&D
- Conduct chemical and materials characterization analyses
- Design and implement standard laboratory procedures & protocols for existing and new laboratory equipment
- Identify, design, and implement improvements to existing methods and procedures
- Routinely operate, calibrate, and maintain laboratory equipment
- Troubleshoot instrumentation and maintain instrument logs
- Document, Interpret, and communicate data & results
- Expanding our existing data management system for the laboratory including but not limited to processing samples, storing data, managing labels, and ensuring all samples are run in a timely manner
- Monitor and replenish inventory of chemicals and laboratory supplies
- Train and mentor new lab technicians on equipment operations
- Partner with our EHS team to monitor and update our laboratory safety programs
- Work as a part of a team of world-class technicians, scientists, and engineers to execute R&D plans, with an urgency rooted in the importance of our mission
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a laboratory environment, and an advanced degree in either Engineering/Applied Science (Chemical, Process, Materials Engineering, or related field), Science (Materials Science, Geology, Chemistry, Physics, or related field) or equivalent practical experience
- Expertise in materials characterization, physical chemistry, surface science, and/or reactivity studies
- Experience independently developing, implementing, and maintaining laboratory safety protocols
- Ability to troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation, including auxiliary systems like air compressors
- Proven experience creating and implementing laboratory SOPs
- Experience collaborating across multiple teams, and mentoring laboratory associates or technicians
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivation and a willingness to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Bonus Points: If you have proven experience working in a fast-paced research environment
- You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply! If not, but you know someone who might be interested, please share this post.
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks & Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options.
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Target compensation for this role is between $98,560 and $112,000 depending on level and experience.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.