Memphis Meats creates real, edible meat products from stem cells instead of living animals.
At Memphis Meats, our mission is to ...View Company Profile
At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
We are seeking an innovative, productive, and highly independent Cell Line Development biologist to join our Upstream Development at the Senior Scientist level. This individual will be responsible for generating cell lines across multiple species and types that meet the requirements of our cultivated meat process. This is a laboratory-based position with opportunities for collaboration across various R&D groups. Due to our organization's dynamic and collaborative environment, this role will require someone who can work individually and as part of a team. Lastly, and most importantly, our ideal teammate will bring a sense of creativity, enthusiasm, and integrity to this position and our organization.
- Execute and manage the generation and characterization (genotype/phenotype) of stable cell lines primarily through gene editing techniques.
- Deliver a diverse pool of cell lines for immediate downstream teams for media and/or process development.
- Devise novel solutions to efficiently deliver high-quality cell lines with desired attributes.
- Communicate results and technical roadmaps and convey technical information clearly and thoroughly to cross-functional teammates and the senior leadership team.
- Manage individual and team timelines, expectations, and progress on projects.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to support team growth
- Ph.D. in cell biology, gene editing, biomedical sciences, biological sciences, or related discipline with 5+ of professional research and development experience (including post-doctoral), or M.S. in related discipline with 10+ years of professional experience.
- Strong experience in genome editing and mammalian cell culture (including aseptic cell culture technique).
- Strong molecular biology experience with familiarity across multiple genetic editing tools and high throughput screening platforms.
- Experience with various cell-based assays (flow cytometry, viability, immunofluorescence, growth assay) and molecular biology assays (RNA/DNA extraction, RT-PCR, ddPCR).
- Thoughtful and effective experimentalist, driven by accuracy of data.
- Maintains laboratory notebooks with detailed experimental designs and results
- Willingness to actively engage external scientists and internal customers in research collaborations where appropriate and to maintain scientific scholarship through internal and external networking and frequent literature reviews.
- Proactive mindset who is excited about challenges and finds creative solutions or clear answers to those challenges.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and cross-functional environment.
- Capable of fostering a team environment and collaborating scientifically with direct team members and scientists in other departments. Open to new ideas, seeking critical feedback from colleagues, and demonstrating effective cooperation.
Who you’ll work with…
- While we expect growth in the Cell Line Development team in the next 1-2 years, this role will start as an individual contributor and expand to have people management responsibilities.
- This role will partner with multiple functions within our Upstream Development team.
- This role will partner with multiple functions in R&D, including Cell Culture Media Development, Data, Discovery, and potentially with our Regulatory team.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- Derive multiple cell lines with desired cell phenotypes and genotypes.
- Increase reproducibility and rigor in generating cell lines for our next product species.
- Serve as a technical leader within the scope of cell line development.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.