Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) has the fastest, lowest cost path to commercial fusion energy.
CFS collaborates with MIT to leverage decades of research combined with groundbreaking new high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnet technology. HTS magnets will enable compact fusion power plants that can be constructed faster and at lower cost. Our mission is to deploy these power plants to meet global decarbonization goals as fast as possible. To that end, CFS has assembled a team of leaders in tough tech, fusion science, and manufacturing with a track record of rapid execution. Supported by the world’s leading investors, CFS is uniquely positioned to deliver limitless, clean, fusion power to combat climate change. To implement this plan, we are looking to add dedicated people to the team who treat people well, improve our work by adding multifaceted perspectives and new ways of solving problems, have achieved outstanding results through a range of pursuits, and have skills and experience related to this role.
SPARC will have extensive Operational Technology (OT) infrastructure to provide the communication and computing infrastructure for the SPARC instrumentation and control (I&C) systems, including the plasma control, SCADA, PLCs, high-speed industrial computing and data acquisition systems. The networks have diverse and demanding needs such as fault tolerance, fidelity, low-latency, determinism, synchronization and high-bandwidth streaming. Working with engineers across the SPARC project you will be responsible for the architecture, implementation, commissioning and operation of the networks to support their systems’ needs.
This team member will:
- Collaborate with lead engineers and key stakeholders across the SPARC project to ensure all necessary networking capabilities are included in the design and implemented according to requirements.
- Working with vendors, employees, and consultants to provide and meet network needs from the design stage through plant commissioning and operation.
- Architect, implement, and support networks and networking technology to support the SPARC project and CFS-2 building according to the project schedule.
- Architect, implement, and support networking and infrastructure needs for PLCs, Digitizers, HMIs, SCADA Systems, Data Acquisition systems, and Timing Networks.
- Manage suppliers of components and integrated subsystems of the OT networks, including firewalls, switches, access points and gateways
- Managing network monitoring and security software such as NAC. Device profiling, access policies.
- Ensure the security of the OT networks by implementation of controls and measures according to the CFS cybersecurity guidelines and relevant national and international standards and regulations
- Produce engineering deliverables such as network architecture diagrams, cabling schedules, bills of materials, cabinet wiring diagrams and termination schedules, accordion to the SPARC design process
- Produce testing, installation, commissioning, operations and maintenance procedures for the OT networks
- Report on and be accountable for progress to the head of IT infrastructure and the engineers responsible for the systems connected to the networks.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of these requirements:
- Experience in enterprise networking, telecom, computer engineering or similar
- Knowledge of NIST frameworks such as 800-82 as they relate to ICS systems and networking security.
- Network monitoring and security software such as NAC.
- Deep understand of network protocols, TCP/IP, BGP, SDWAN, OSPF, VRRP, VLAN, VXLAN, 802.1X, MC-LAG
- Understanding of the Purdue Model for ICS Networking.
- Field networks such as Profinet, Modbus, Ethercat
- Configuration of Firewalls, Switches, Access Points.
Additional preferred experience and/or qualifications:
- Multicast UDP
- Presence detection
- High fidelity networks
- Experience managing Fortinet Security Fabric products and devices
- Time synchronization with protocols such as PTP and White Rabbit IEEE1588
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Ability to perform activities such as typing, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time
- Willingness to do occasional travel
- Working with appropriate PPE in the presence of hazards such an exposure to heat, cold, noise, and fumes.
- Willingness to occasionally travel or work required nights/weekends/on-call.
CFS team members thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits. We all tightly align with our company values of integrity, execution, impact and self-critique. As we grow, we are looking to add talented people who are mission driven and bring diverse perspectives and new ways of solving problems.
At CFS, we deeply value diversity and are an equal opportunity employer by choice. We consider all qualified applicants equally for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.