Zoox's internship program provides hands-on experiences with state-of-the-art technology, mentorship from some of the industry's brightest minds, and the opportunity to play a part in our success. Internships at Zoox are reserved for those that demonstrate outstanding academic performance, activities outside their course work, aptitude, curiosity, and a passion for Zoox's mission.
Our Firmware team is responsible for embedded software development for the driving-related functions and sub-systems of the Zoox vehicle, and to develop, extend, and maintain support for multiple embedded platforms for the Zoox vehicle.
We are looking for people who are passionate about diving deep into the hardware and creating robust and reusable software.
- Currently working towards a B.S., M.S., Ph.D., or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program. For undergraduates, we are accepting only juniors and seniors.
- Good academic standing
- Can commit to at least a 12-week internship
- At least one previous industry internship, co-op, or project completed in a relevant area
- Ability to relocate to the Bay Area, California for the duration of the internship
- Interns at Zoox may not use any proprietary information they are working on as part of their thesis, any published work with their university, or to be distributed to anyone outside of Zoox.
- Proficiency in C and C++
- Proficiency in embedded systems
Qualifications by Team
- Candidates will be matched to the team that best fits their skill set and team’s needs.
- Drive Systems:
- Pursuing a degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience
- Experience with embedded microcontrollers and microprocessors (ARM, PowerPC)
- Familiarity with modern software development methodologies and tools (Agile, Git, unit testing, CI, etc.)
- Power Systems:
- Experience in automotive, batteries, BMS, the know-how of Electrical/Power Electronics (HV and LV), EVSEs
- Familiarity with using oscilloscopes, power supply, and analyzer
- Experience coding and debugging firmware, with driver development, board bring up, Linux kernel, or RTOS.
- GCC, Make, git, gdb, etc.
- Autonomous Integration:
- An academic track in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Robotics, or Mechatronics
- Experience with common software development tools, e.g., C++, Python, version control, etc
- A strong background in Mathematics, Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, and Kinematics is desirable
- Core Firmware:
- Good debugging skills (e.g. GDB, JTAG/ICE debuggers, scopes, and analyzers)
- Linux-based development and debugging environment (Git, GCC, Bash, Bazel)
- Prior experience at an autonomous vehicle, automotive, or robotics company
- Involvement/leadership with campus clubs related to robotics, automotive, or related fields
The monthly salary range for this position is $6,500 to $9,500. Compensation will vary based on role, degree level and type, and benefits will be offered based on eligibility. Additional benefits may include medical insurance, 401k, and a housing stipend.Vaccine Mandate
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR
have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series. In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.About Zoox
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.Follow us on LinkedInA Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.